Californian bungalow renovation in Hamilton East

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by tomlemke, 22nd Nov, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. tomlemke

tomlemke Well-Known Member

I always love reading everyone else's renovations stories so thought I would put my Ppor Reno up. This was the last place we did.

IMG_3913.PNG
    IMG_3914.PNG

And this is our new place, it's taken 3 renovations to get to this one. It's in the area I grew up so very excited to finally be back!

We purchased it back in April, it popped up about 6 months before we were really ready to buy. We ended up having to rent it out for 6 months while we finished off another project.

IMG_3897.PNG IMG_3893.JPG

You can probably tell we love dark colours, the plan with this home is to create a 5 bed 3 bath 2 car home.

We are talking with the private certifier to see weather we can put our extension through as a complying development. It's in the Hertitage zone so it doesn't usually allow it, fingers crossed we can get it through as the wait in council ATM is
    3 months not including Christmas.

Competed so far.

- Ensuite
    - Floors polished
    - Picture rails installed in all bedrooms
    - Shutters
    -150 plants for the front yard
    - Concrete removed from footpath and turf layed
    - Sprinkler system
    - Painted front two bedrooms/ walkin/ Hallway
    - Painted outside
    - Security Cameras installed

14th December, walk in wardrobe and spare room wardrobe are being installed.

15th December, the Bob cat coming to remove all the plants in the backyard.

I'll put some more before and after pics up

Attached Files:

Silverson, Morgs, Kassy and 2 others like this.
  2. tomlemke

This was the second living room, we have converted this into the main bedroom. We Cut two door openings through into bed 2 to create a walk in wardrobe and ensuite.

IMG_3919.PNG
    IMG_3922.JPG

IMG_0892.JPG

This is the spare room, not a lot happened in here, just down lights, re paint, shutters , floors polished , picture rails installed. Just waiting for built in Waredrobe and this room will be complete.

IMG_3920.PNG

IMG_3923.JPG

This is the floor plan when we purchased it and the renovation plan below it.

IMG_3921.PNG IMG_3912.JPG

Danyool and Kassy like this.
  3. tomlemke

If you want to test your relationship, cut holes through a brick wall with a concrete saw. Talk about a messy job!

IMG_3925.PNG IMG_3926.PNG

IMG_3927.PNG

IMG_3928.PNG

Kassy likes this.
  4. Micko

Micko Well-Known Member

Turning it into a 5 bedder/3 bathroom eh? Do many 5 Bedder/3 Bathroom places come on the market in Hamilton East? It just seems so central to everything there now....such a cool place to live. And in the good school zone. Are you going to go tile roof or stay with colour bond?

5. tomlemke

Hey Micko,
    The majority of homes are 3 bedrooms with two living areas, the 5th bed on this will double as a second living. Yeah it was a shame that the past owner had put colourbond on the roof. We are 50:50 with what we are going to do, that can be done very last so see how we go with budget.

6. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

Hi Tom

We are just about to start a Reno on a Bungalow home, just working through our ideas with a designer, Not heritage listed but the whole area is renovated Bungalows, so we want to stay with this trend. The place we bought has a 1984 extension so its already 5 bedrooms, we are just updating and trying to make it flow better.

I am converting a existing bedroom into a master by knocking out a wall to create two doorways one door way to lead to a WIR and turning the current small Bathroom into a Ensuite.

Do you have a rough figure for knocking through the two walls converting you rooms?

7. tomlemke

Where are you located? It's actually a pretty easy job just makes a lot of mess. The steel that goes above each door way is $50 each from Bunnings, concrete saw, 9inch grinder, timber to re frame the door ways and labour Should be around 2k all up. Obviously you will then have the added costs of re doing your bathroom and walk in as well.

8. Something_Wrong

Something_Wrong Well-Known Member

We are in Ryde

Just getting our DA sorted to submit in Jan 2018 for the Pool, Garage, Deck and interior changes (Not required but figure stops any hassle) and hopefully start in Feb / March, Although I will start the strip out process (Kitchen / Bathrooms cabinets / Laundry Cabinets / Wall tiles Ect )over Xmas so it will be a blank canvas for the builder.

Because I am removing a doorway I will be saving the Door trims and door to use on the Ensuite entrance and the walk-in will be a open doorway.

9. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

You have certainly been busy! Love the photos and love the old ceilings in your new place!

tomlemke likes this.
  10. jim1964

jim1964 1941

This is so true @tomlemke being there and done that, i build a new house every 5 years,not an issue anymore for me.

tomlemke likes this.
  11. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Absolutely gorgeous! Your style is impeccable. It's so sad we don't get many of these style homes in QLD.

Kassy likes this.
  12. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Sounds not dissimilar to my situation, but our extension is a owner-builder job where they made heaps of shortcuts and compromises. I'm at the point now where I'd prefer to knock the whole thing off and start from scratch. I need to talk to a builder and get some advice on costs though.

Hey @tomlemke I'm just over in Ham South - do you happen to know how cranky council would get if I want to knock off upstairs and re-do it? My house is currently fugly, and I couldn't imagine anyone complaining if I improve the aesthetic! I was also hoping to make the floor of the downstairs extension the same height as the rest of the house, instead of a slab - do you think they would impose that flood thing that is making everyone go up a few stairs for extensions? Speaking of which - does that effect you?

cheers,
    Inertia

13. tomlemke

Depending what part of Hamilton south your in the heritage conservation area ends on the eastern side of Gordon Avenue. If your in it you could be in for some fun having upstairs. I have just paid $450 for a letter from an heritage architect stating that my extension won't effect the street scape. The flood maps are all over the place as well, my friends in Pulver street had to raise his place up but his neighbour was in a different ranking of the flood level zone and didn't have to lift his.

Happy to chat about what I have been going through so give me a call if you wanted more details.
    D.a's are a 4 month wait currently.

inertia likes this.
  14. tomlemke

Thanks Tom, I could say the same about Queenslanders. Something has built one in Adamstown which I admire all the time,

Tom Rivera likes this.
  15. tomlemke

Had the escavator over today, 4 loads to concrush. Good bye jungle! IMG_4025.JPG IMG_4029.JPG

Giant stump glad I didn't have to hand dig this
    IMG_4032.JPG

Kassy likes this.
  16. tomlemke

The old door, 70's style with a weird confession style window had to go.
    IMG_4015.JPG

Picked up this door in Hamilton. IMG_3985.JPG

15 hours later using the heat gun and sanding.
    Just have to putty up the old holes in the door and a satin water based clear and it will be done. I've got a vintage lion head door knock and pull handle coming.
    IMG_4034.JPG

Something_Wrong, vbplease and Kassy like this.
  17. tomlemke

Final one for the night, new fence got done on Saturday. Didn't end well with the neighbour but that's another story. IMG_4036.PNG IMG_4021.JPG

18. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Really nice! Do you and your partner do most of the work yourself?

19. tomlemke

Yeah we do the majority of things, anything major lucky i have plenty of tradie mates so I just labour for them when they need me.

inertia likes this.
  20. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Really good work! Good on you!

tomlemke likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia