QLD Cairns

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Azazel, 19th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

When I lived in Trinity Park and palm Cove I quite often went for runs anytime from mid afternoon to late at night. Same as walking the dogs. When we were in Trinity Park Half Moon Bay was just a short stroll away.

ellejames70 likes this.
  2. ellejames70

ellejames70 Active Member

What about the South Areas....like Bentley Park? I really want to move to Cairns...

3. ellejames70

What about Stratford, Brinsmead etc...honestly I know no where is really safe anymore, but some places are better than others...

4. ellejames70

5. ellejames70

and am looking for affordable areas...needs to be kid friendly and I want to be able to walk a dog after work etc...

6. The Grinch

The Grinch Well-Known Member

Cheap for a reason, I work that way and it is quite unsafe. There is a good neighborhood watch starting but I'd avoide the south. Depends what your budget is.

We just signed the contract in Mooroobool today for a villa, low body corp and a complex of 4 tucked away in a safe spot. Really need to pick your streets.

Highly recommend a trip up, rent first and figure out if cairns is for you.

Stratford, freshwater are very safe. Won't get much below 450k. Houses come on market and are snapped up fairly quick. Because of the school catchment and lifestyle drivers it's quite sought after and you won't get much off of asking price unless you know people and can purchase off market.

Brinsmead is very safe and has had decent and consistent growth over the past 5 years although this could be due to many reasons. It is in the good catchment zones, can purchase between 350k-400k and, very safe and has a great neighborhood feel. Insurances are quite affordable there if you check your flood maps.

Beaches are probably out of your price range and anything that is will probably be in a flood zone. Be warned insurance rates are higher along the beaches.

Also some parts of smithfield (older established parts) are below 400k for good size land.

Your best bet is mooroobol, smithfield and brinsmead. Some parts of manunda are fine also but you really and I can't stress this enough really need to pick your streets plus prices in manunda are moving into the 400's quicker and quicker.

Kuranda may be an option, although far from cairns if you need to travel there for work although it is not for everyone and you would really need to check it out first to see if it woulld suit you. Has seen stable growth and has great vacancy rates.

Steer clear of white rock, manoora, mount sheridan, bentley park, edmonton and gordonvale. Mount sheridan does have some owner occupier appeal if you buy in forest gardens and is quite safe with family appeal however is further away from lifestyle drivers and due to the massive land supply and new builds going on I doubt much growth will come this cycle.

Hope that helps. As always do your own research, I'm no expert these are just my observations since I've moved up here and been learning the market.

Phineas and ellejames70 like this.
  7. ellejames70

I’ve noticed things move fast up that part of Australia.... properties under contract within weeks. I’m looking at Northern Cairns / Northern Beaches. What do people think of townhouses ???
    thanks so much for your insights. I am familiar with Cairns, I lived in Port D for 7 years, YEARS AGO, and I loved it. Brinsmead, Redlynch and Freshwatwr were just starting up way back then and I loved those areas then, wish I could have bought back then!!!!

8. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

St Andrews Redlynch Valley. Otherwise there are plenty of good schools in the city, St Monica’s, St Augustine’s, TAS at White Rock etc

9. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t rush the market is slow, we recently sold, lots of tyre kickers or people looking for a bargain and the local economy is currently being smashed by the lack of tourists, international flight cancellations etc. It is going to hit the city really hard IMO, probably worse than anywhere else in the country.

The Grinch likes this.
  10. The Grinch

This is true, things may slow down again which is a shame as movement has been great this last few months prior to corona virus.

11. The Grinch

Townhouses can be fine, just check body corp fees and check the complex out etc.

At the end of the day if this is a PPOR you will buy for very different reasons then as an investment. Come up, have a look around and take your time before you make a purchase. As Hugh said prices may start to drop a fair amount so no need to rush into anything when the rents arw quite reasonable and you can get a better feel for it while you are renting.

Alesco likes this.
  12. The Grinch

Lack of tourisim already impacting the market. You may hold off and get some good deals in the next few months

13. ellejames70

May just work in my favour then..... not good for others trying to sell. The property we just sold in Hervey Bay we lost about 90k (and we had been there for 13 years!!!) so it would be good to pick up a bargain property this time around.
    I was looking at some smaller blocks properties around (300 sqm) as I am too busy to get into gardening anyway. A townhouse in Brinsmead / Redlynch would suit. And I have heard Mooroobool west of Irene Street is OK....Suitable areas for school catchments for me anyway. I can't wait to live back in FNQ, I absolutely love it. I love Kuranda but it might be a bit too much of a trek up and down the range everyday getting to work.

Any thoughts??
    Thank you!

14. The Grinch

Our PPOR is in Mooroobool, two bed room town house in a complex of 4. Picked it up 45k cheaper than the one next door another sold early 2018 in the same complex sold at 30k more than what we picked it up for you can pick up good deals don't be afraid to go in low.

That said townhouses haven't performed that well but if it is as a PPOR and to serve a purpose of affordability then you will do well. I wouldn't expect any growth any time soon though.

Rates are high and body corps are high. Redlynch there are some complexes around the $1900 a year mark but they don't have pools.

Try freshwater and stratford. They have affordable townhouses with great proximity to schools and close to the airport and CBD.

Steer clear of the beaches as their bodycorps are very high.

ellejames70 likes this.
  15. ellejames70

Just wondering what about Cairns water and rates.... what is an average for Cairns??

16. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Water is really inexpensive compared to the capital cites, there is plenty of it. My rates were previously about $1300- $1350 half yearly, it’s insurance that is the killer.

amazed and The Grinch like this.
  17. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

Rates $1250-$1500 for 6 months and includes water infrastructure. My water usage bill is $50-$100 per quarter

ellejames70 likes this.
  18. ellejames70

So what would insurance be for a 3 /2 townhouse or house?! I pay &150 pm for new 4/2 house...

19. The Grinch

Building Insurance is normally included in body corp unless you want contents or landlord.

20. The Grinch

ellejames70 likes this.