QLD Cairns

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Azazel, 19th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Moorooboost

Moorooboost Member

Yep that's what I mean, south of woodward st Edge hill isn't that great. If you're going for edge hill, you really want to be on the hill....

I didn't think freshwater was that bad for flooding? Especially the more elevated parts. I owned a property there for a while, good place to live.

hobo and The Grinch like this.
  2. The Grinch

The Grinch Well-Known Member

Generally not as bad as parts of redlynch but parts of kamerunga road are prone.

Another problem we have found with freshwater is houses sell so quickly and limited stock. Houses normally sell for asking price as it is a great place for owner occupier. Good insight though and maybe we should wait and do some mailbox drops while we wait for a place in freshwater rather than rush into something subpar elsewhere that doesn't meet our needs.

We did some house inspections in palm cove earlier this week and to be totally honest. While I get the lifestyle drivers on the esplanade which is amazing, the houses are quite poorly built in the midrange and below.

3. The Grinch

Also, @Moorooboost , wondering what your thoughts on bayview heights are? I've seen some beautiful parts of it and it is relatively close to the CBD.

4. hobo

hobo Well-Known Member

Yeah, for the most part I’m not an Edge Hill / Whitfield fan for investments as I think there’s much better value elsewhere. As per any suburb, there’s always gems, but... meh. Wouldn’t buy there for PPOR because the premium views still aren’t as good as I’ve seen elsewhere in Cairns.

I also doubt there’s a street in Manoora that I’d buy in!

Palm Cove is too far out for me, as are all of the Northern Beaches; I lived at the Knob for years and that felt soooo far out of town.... although that was a number of years ago now. At least the road is better these days (except for Smithfield roundabout).

The Grinch likes this.
  5. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

I lived on the hill side of Palm Cove for 18 months. The novelty quickly wore off. The tourists made all of the usual activities a PITA.

I'm now in Kuranda and only live 7 minutes further from town than what we were in Palm Cove.

The Grinch likes this.
  6. The Grinch

Certain streets in Kuranda are beautiful, I have a few houses on Kuranda Crescent that I wouldn't mind if they came on the market.

Good insight though guys, maybe it is just a novelty for us living at palm cove.

I do like edgehill amd whitfield for the queenslander homes up in the hills though.

7. The Grinch

I agree with Manoora, that said if I was looking for an IP that I could buy below market value, add a small reno on for instant equity I have seen some good deals going. That said I'd sooner invest in manunda or woree beforw I went to manoora!

That said, seems to be a fair few of us in cairns. Has anyone tried a cairns property chat meetup? I may make a thread and dangle a line.

8. Greedo

Greedo Well-Known Member

hey @The Grinch ive lived in bayview before and have a lot of time for it. Must admit I haven’t followed property values there for some time. Where u are Freshie and Stratford always v popular.

The Grinch likes this.
  9. The Grinch

Yeah I've heard from alot of people that freshwater is one of the premium suburbs which is why we decided to rent here. I've noticed that almost everyone on my street is an OO which is always a good sign.

Greedo likes this.
  10. Kesse

Kesse Well-Known Member

Yeah, we enjoyed it for the first bit but just little stuff that you might not think of like having to pick up stuff from the post office was an ordeal in itself. When I was living in Trinity Park I was a regular runner but found myself avoiding it in Palm Cove as I spent more time trying to dodge the dawdlers on the Esplanade. But I can't really begrudge them that.

I'm not in Kuranda town itself as it's similar to palm Cove with the tourists but concentrated during the times the train and sky rail run then it's like a ghost town. I'm off the road out to Myola which is nice and quiet.

11. The Grinch

Still plodding along with the search, problem is for us is finding a place with a 400k budget that we are able to buy below market value that is poised for good growth.

Budget is due to the first home buyer scheme

Current requirments for us would be -
    * 600sqm land size.
    * Potential to add equity through renovations.
    * out of flood zones
    *Not in low socio-economic areas.

12. Moorooboost

Moorooboost Member

13. The Grinch

14. strongy1986

strongy1986 Well-Known Member

definately think cairns is on the cusp of a positive price surge

its looking a little like hobart a few years ago, rental prices are strong and yields would be 7-8%

if they get to 8-9 you can be assured prices will rise 50% plus in less than two years

The Grinch likes this.
  15. The Grinch

Haven't quite hit the 7-8% everywhere. Parts like manunda and woree are in the 6-7% but they have a lot less OO appeal.

16. Kram

Kram New Member

17. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

Anyone needing someone honest and reliable for property maintenance in Cairns I’ve got a mate with a business there.

I’ve had a shocking run with dodgy tradies over there. I had a roof plumber quote about $900 to replace 8m of guttering....

The Grinch likes this.
  18. ellejames70

ellejames70 Active Member

Any suggestions for safe, kid friendly areas? Like jogging and walking the dog... normally family stuff. I’ve heard Cairns has a high crime rate, especially youth crime.
    I used to live in Port years ago and love it up ion FNQ and want to move back....

19. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Park Ridge, Brinsmead, Redlynch, Stratford and Freshwater. EdgeHill is nice but it’s very close to all the rough suburbs, only a push bike ride away.

ellejames70 likes this.
  20. ellejames70

ellejames70 Active Member

And what about schools in those areas? I’ve heard Freshwater State, Freshwater Christian and Peace Lutheran are probably the best.....??