QLD Cairns market looking?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Palmcovecairns, 27th Feb, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Palmcovecairns

Palmcovecairns Member

Hello all,

Interested to hear from people up in Cairns about how the property market is going?

Have an interest in Palm Cove and surrounding areas and wondering if the same interest and momentum happening elsewhere is also happening in those area mentioned?

2. Palmcovecairns

Palmcovecairns Member

No one on with any info on what's happening with Cairns property?

3. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

4. Erica

Erica Well-Known Member

5. Onyx_OCAU

Onyx_OCAU Well-Known Member

North queensland
    Here's my post in another section of the forums from a month and a bit back. It seems OP your namesake's area is doing well. The rest of Cairns - I don't know. Cairns' local economy seems to rely quite heavily on tourists. I don't know how travel is these days as I'm not doing it myself.

6. Palmcovecairns

Palmcovecairns Member

Thanks for the info

7. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

mate Palmcove would be nice for a PPR but it’s a economy is largely underpinned by the tourism sector. Palmcove had a good run in terms of Capital Growth in 2019. It’s such a small suburb with such a large variation in stock and price point. You got houses that sell for 4M plus and units which sell for 250k. So those two major variations causes the median price to fluctuate all the time. Edge hill and Whitfield would be the places that are gentrifying right now and would make solid for investments however stick to upper Edge Hill and Upper Whitfield as the demographic is better.

Last edited: 5th Apr, 2021
  8. Boss

Boss Well-Known Member

27649 likes this.
  9. Leanne Parsons

Leanne Parsons New Member

The Cairns market is extremely strong at the moment, for both the rental and sales market. Generally, rentals have a vacancy rate of under 1% at the moment - a great time for property investors! If you have any other questions, please ask :)

10. Harris

Harris Well-Known Member

Vacancy rates now at 0.4% (as good as zero) and rents up almost 22% YoY for units - any feedback from those on the ground? Going by the trajectory of what other QLD regionals are doing after 15 odd years of nothingness, likely we are looking at the start of a significant boom cycle here? Toowoomba, Rockhampton, Cairns where prices haven't moved in this cycle appear to be on the verge of a super cycle, when you look at supply levels, vacancy, rental yields etc?

wilso8948 likes this.
  11. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

Here’s hoping

12. QldGuy

QldGuy Member

I Just bought a place in Manoora, 4kms from the centre of town, and event with the high insurance and rates it is positively geared from day one. Not all are like that, I think I was just lucky to find a place that already had features that renters are willing to pay that bit extra for.

13. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

Risky place to invest Manoora. How did you narrow down asset selection to mitigate downside risk?

14. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

Please help us understand all the numbers that make it positively
    geared from day one.

15. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

I wouldn’t be worried about the numbers I’d be worried about the area that’s certainly not an investment grade suburb.

16. QldGuy

QldGuy Member

Agreed, but It has its areas with housos but also has better areas in the Edge hill SS catchment.

It's close to the centre of town and has varied zoning. Need to make sure you get in medium or low-medium density.

17. yoyo_guitarist

yoyo_guitarist Well-Known Member

Bundy vs Rockhampton mate? Bundy looks to be a better investment but the price point is more than Rockhampton at present.

27649 likes this.
  18. 27649

27649 Well-Known Member

Bundy is only short term so you need to time the market. It’s got to much future land supply with subdivision after subdivision in the pipeline on the West and East. Rockhampton inner middle ring is very scares, plus the yields are better.

19. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Good luck buying a cheap property in Palm Cove.
    It's big $$$ for anything decent! Unless of course it is for your PPOR. ;)

20. yoyo_guitarist

yoyo_guitarist Well-Known Member

Ok then mate thanks for the heads up. Visited Rocky when I was younger to visit a cousin and the place has a nice charm to it, despite what others think.

1. when you say inner middle ring do you mean -
    Frenchville, norman gardens, up around the university or Parkhurst a bit further past the uni. Also would around the hospital be fine too?

2. What’s your thoughts on Gracemere, seems like alot of Land on the west side for development but perhaps near the Gracemere state school might be decent?