Health & Family Caffeiene Addiction

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by TMNT, 14th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Quitting alcohol and social life [Health & Family]

Inspired by this thread,

anyone addicted to caffeine?

its interesting how in society,
    if you are addicted to heroin, cocaine, you are drug addict, which is bad
    if you are addicted to alcohol, you are an alcohol addict, which is no good
    if you are addicted to caffeine, no one cares,

in fact most people that are addicted are proud of it and wear of it as a badge of honour

most of them gloat about needing a double espresso in the morning to function,
    or about how many coffees they have to function throughout the day,

in my work place I see heaps of younger people and the number of them who drink energy drinks like its water, and its disgusting to watch

there are extreme cases of kids drinking 6+ energy drinks every day, and their heart stopping due to the caffeine

for the record I drink coke/coffee/tea, maybe one to two day, but is usually in the afternoon or evening

2. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I drink 2- 3 cups a day. But if I stopped cold turkey it wouldn't bother me and I've gone for long periods without. Am I an addict?

I think an addict is someone who has lost control and is unable to stop a certain behaviour which negatively affects their life.

Every 3rd person I pass on the street these days seems to be a food addict.

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I did a experiment years ago, for 2 weeks I had about 3 coffees a day, and then stopped cold turkey,

a nurse friend of mine said I would get withdrawal symptons, and get headaches,
    surpringly, I did have a tiny headache on day 2 after stopping (whether it was caffeine related I dont know)

id personally remove the negative affect from the definition, I think anyone who needs it to function with it is an addict (obviously food/oxygen is not an addiction because we need it to live)

one of my colleagues who is a 25 yr old colombian girl, brings her own special blend from home, and in 8 hours, she has about 10 + coffees, id say she is an addict

4. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

“Addiction” is a term that seems to be tossed around indiscriminately.

I haven’t seen any reports of a coffee “addict” stealing or breaking the law to get his/her next fix.

Just because someone chooses to have 8-10 or more coffees a day does not make them an addict.

My dad smoked cigarettes. But he was never addicted, he stopped and started as he wanted. When I went overseas for a year, he was a smoker so I bought home duty-free cigarettes for him. In the meantime, he had given up smoking. No worries, he simply smoked the cigarettes I brought then stopped again. (In my defence, this WAS the 1960s!)

Lizzie likes this.
  5. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

upload_2019-10-14_8-20-39.png

Addiction nah I'm fine

Is it normal that I can see colours?

upload_2019-10-14_8-21-48.png

The Y-man and TMNT like this.
  6. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

I personally think you can get addicted to pretty much anything, not only addictive substance.

My addiction to coffee is both substance and the ritual - it is a nice break to go out and have a small chat on the way to getting a cuppa.

I usually limit myself to 2 cups a day, max 3.

7. Morgs

Morgs Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi my name is Richard and I'm a coffee addict.... maybe not addict but I do love coffee.

Usually only one in the morning & one early afternoon. I am partial to a good imperial coffee stout on a Friday night too. Energy drinks and soft drinks are generally a no from me too.

After all these year I'm probably physically dependent on caffeine. Generally pretty sluggish if I go more than a day without one. That said if someone said I needed to stop drinking coffee tomorrow (for reason x) then I don't think I'd have any issues doing that.

8. Player

Player Well-Known Member

I don't drink energy drinks or soft drinks. I have 2-3 coffees per day and one cup of tea in the afternoon. Not addicted. I just enjoy the flavour and smell of an espresso in the morning and the ritual that goes along with it, especially that first one.

I do wait at least an hour before my first one. Never have one just after waking. Water is the first thing that I put in my mouth.

I find that breakfast is the most important coffee of the day :D

9. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

10. Nuncasuficiente

Nuncasuficiente Well-Known Member

I may or may not have started an Ecom coffee business. No turning back now. ☕️

11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I got into an argument with a mate and, to prove I was right, I quit coffee and alcohol for a year. I would say it's one of the easiest things I've ever done.

12. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

You took the words out of my mouth.

Same here!

I suffered no side affects stopping

However i was on a two month holiday years ago and drank everyday and when i stopped i did get a minor headache from withdrawals

Perthguy likes this.
  13. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Usually 3-4 triple shot long blacks a day. So actually 12+ shots of coffee technically...

I get a lot of work done.

Angel likes this.
  14. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

I reckon there’s more to it than just the caffeine.

If you gave heavy coffee or energy drink consumers a placebo which tasted exactly the same as the caffeinated versions, I’d expect most would react and feel exactly the same way directly after consumption.

It’s only if you highly accurately measure physical or cognitive performance results with testing equipment that you’d really notice any difference, in my opinion.

15. iwantahouse

iwantahouse Well-Known Member

I just drink a cup of coffee with breakfast before coming to work in the mornings. Then I used to drink a supercharged half cup of coffee no sugar before going to the gym as soon as I get home from work.

I haven't done the supercharge coffe for a while, learning about property and buying our first PPOR has made me a bit lazy to go to the gym. I still go but not as frequently as I used to 6 months or so ago.

And I'm from Colombia! home of one of the best coffe grains!

16. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I loved Colombia (I worked for thee months in Medellin) but I think that they exported their best coffee. I didn't find much good coffee there.

17. iwantahouse

iwantahouse Well-Known Member

Well, we actually have very good coffee grain. Thing is we are bad for preparing a good coffee.
    I'm glad you enjoyed your time in Medellin, it wasn't my hometown (I grew up close to Cali) but Medellin is a beautiful city.

geoffw likes this.