Cabinet Maker - Brisbane

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Kirstend, 9th Mar, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kirstend

Kirstend Member

Hi Property Chatters,

Looking for a cabinet maker to do our kitchen. Love the farmhouse style and am aiming to spend about 20-25k. Wondering if it’s possible to save some money and source my own stone and just get them to do the plans and the cabinet doors... then I could get the rest from Bunnings? Would this work? Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Located in North Brisbane.

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

They may have some conditions and require a reputable provider too. The install of the benchtop is harder with stone than timbers and laminates and may impact warranty etc. Stone benchtops are pretty much sourced by countertop subbies from a handful of stone manufacturers who cut and fit large sheets to size. Most benchtop supply is oversized for site adjustment of course. Many kitchen installers sub contract the benchtop

Bunnings cabinets need bunnings doors and fittings. Predrills on cabinet and doors and plinths etc are designed for perfect hinge and fitting and adjustment alignment on 3 axis (which often come from a few global hardware providers despite branding) eg Blum (used by Ikea too) or a copy of it. I believe Kaboodle hinge hardware is Blum too but isnt branded Blum and wont fit ikea for example. Some kaboodle softclose are hettich maybe its their hinges unbranded ? Ikea have some unique fittings others dont get. Ikea have a click on/off system for some kitchen cabinets where kaboodle has a screw.

A Bunnings kitchen doesnt need bunnings benchtops.

Last edited: 9th Mar, 2020
    Kirstend likes this.
  3. Mill

Mill Well-Known Member

@Kirstend sent you a PM with the cabinetmaker details I used in Brisbane north

Kirstend likes this.
  4. Kirstend

Kirstend Member

Thanks so much for your detailed response, Paul. I really appreciate it. I have sourced my own stone importer to try and save a little and am still deciding what to do about the cabinets. It’s just the doors that I don’t like at Bunnings-I would really love some glass doors for my top cabinets but don’t like the two that Bunnings have available. Shame that you have to use their doors if you use their cabinets. Looks like I have some more research to do. Thanks again ☺️

5. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

If you are chasing a budget there are even kitchen auctions to consider. And yes you can custome spec it !! Kitchen Auctions | Cheap Kitchens | Fowles Auction & Sales

Ikea also do a range of glass overhead cabinet doors and complementing base cabinets. You would need to assemble all the cabinets and then arrange for install by a cabinet maker and even ikea have these on tap. Tip - Use their online software !! It seems clunky and looks a bit ordinary but does build a full order with all the (extra) options you can choose and wont let you put cabinets where they cant go. (Like hard against a wall without a small gap) You can quickly reprice different doors etc. I found the printed guide in store (and online PDF using the AU WEBSITE !!) very helpful to then use the software. Or you can do it with help in store if you bring in all your specific measurements. Think of plumbing and electricals and their present wall and floor positions too.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia