C section beams vs full Steel?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by hammer, 28th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Howdy,
    I am getting a patio built potentially by patio world...

Their system uses two Steel C section beams to make box beams that make up the roofing frame. The poles holding it all up are full Steel...The C sections are just for the support under the iron sheeting.

Is this ok? I was expecting straight Steel beams being in Darwin and all....but they said that the two C sections are very strong and light. They have also been engineered to pass all cyclone coding etc...

Anyway...are there any builder type people here who could let me know if this sounds Ok? The patio is 3 x 6 m...

I know nothing about this stuff.....

2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Should be fine. Even the lightweight C-Sections are pretty strong.
    When you say the poles are full steel, I presume you mean that the upright posts are a Square hollow section (SHS) I'm guessing 90 x 3mm??

(I'm not a builder.. I used to be an engineer)

3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

Not a builder,but once you screw the c-sections and tie it all in they become rock solid within the frame once it's set into the slab.imho..

4. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Personally I don't like the exposed visual aspect of C, ok if not visual, box looks much better, especially if coloured rather than gal look.
    Consider sitting out there having a beer with friends, leaning back in your chair, looking up and thinking, man I gotta get those bloody spiderwebs etc outta there...

Have you checked prices with others, one suggestion is Stratco, they can supply an installer/designer but if your handy for DIY (easy to do) they can supply the plans to submit to council.

You could also consider no beams, smart stylish look, with the bonus of less heat etc with this Cooldek® Roofing | Stratco

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

It is 2 C sections joined together to make a box...it should look ok. Re the insulation...normally its a no brainer but we're able to go quite high (3.2m) and over the roof of the house...so the hot air can escape easily. I think it should be fine.

Building yourself up here is tricky. It all needs to get certified and built to a strict code. Certifiers are like 3k (its a con) and if you make a mistake it starts to get expensive. I will make mistakes. Lots of them! :)

Stratco installation was 30 percent more expensive...
    Yup, SHS thingies holding it up. The beams (joists?) Are 2 C sections joined together to make a box.
    Thanks for the reply on the strength. That sets my mind at ease!

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Sure that they aren't going to be back to back to form an I beam?

158 and WestOz like this.
  7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Sounds a bit odd to me

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.