Buying Shares in South 32

Discussion in 'Share Investing Strategies, Theories & Education' started by Moojebing Lad, 19th May, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Moojebing Lad

Moojebing Lad New Member

Hi all,

I own some shares in S32 because BHP gave them to us years ago.

The financial newspapers have made a couple of suggestions that S32 is a good buy right now.

Should I buy some more?

Comments, suggestions, criticisms: I'd like to hear what members are thinking.

Regards,
    Moojebing Lad aka Kevin B.

2 people like this.
  2. twisted strategies

twisted strategies Well-Known Member

buy more S32 ???

i guess it gets down to risk tolerance

( i hold S32 courtesy of the BHP divestment also )

bearing in mind S32 has most of the second-string assets BHP accumulated over previous years AND despite commodity prices , we should be in a resources consolidation phase ( where companies normally reduce bottle-necks close down unprofitable projects and cut other costs where they can )

do you think S32 will buy any discarded assets ( from other miners ) BHP did leave it with some cash reserves and S32 has off-loaded some assets . , and S32 inherited some assets that will still need extra effort .

one school of though might suggest S32 has enough work ahead of it ( mid-term ) while another would want to buy ( wisely ) discounted assets ( LYC would normally be a target an aggressive S32 would have looked over )

i am prepared to hold and wait on S32 so that i can understand management thinking better ( will it tend to be aggressive or cautious )

would you buy S32 , if you didn't already hold some ( if i had of been forced into buying my mining growth shares i probably would have bought FMG , and would by now be taking some profit from them )

another thing to consider is S32 management , logically you can't expect them ( mid-term ) to outshine the management BHP , but are they still better than other good miners ( NST , FMG and others )

previous RIO board members show you how bad decisions can cost the share-holder ( pay-packet size isn't always a predictor of profits )

i intend to hold my current S32 shares but am unwilling to add ( using actual cash ) until the resources cycle returns to more usual patterns ( several manufacturing nations are financially fragile , there still might be more DOWN )

cheers