Buying property on an ‘Avenue’ street type

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by swaugh, 26th Oct, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. swaugh

swaugh Active Member

Hello everyone,
    I am an interstate investor considering buying an IP that is located on an ‘avenue’ street type. Now when I look at the views and maps it looks busy with a roundabout 500m away on the same road. Could you advise if buying property located on a busy road affects property prices and has an impact on CG? Appreciate your thoughts

P.S. I can’t be on the ground to inspect the property.

TIA.

2. melbourne171

melbourne171 Well-Known Member

busy st effects the price. However, not all avenue street type is busy. You have to check the traffic. Go there and observe the street traffic or look at Google map.

3. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Yes, busy street/avenue will have increased noise and difficulty accessing with vehicle so will likely make the property worth less.

A quick Google earth search to see if it is a major connective thoroughfare will be a start, then street view maybe.

The only time these places are worthwhile is when rezoned for high density and developers want them (these days developers landbank years in advance)

swaugh likes this.
  4. Branden

Branden Well-Known Member Business Member

I have noticed when looking at busier streets that there tends to be a price discrepancy between properties on a busy/noisy street vs not. It's hard to determine the exact impact without being on the ground and/or understanding the extent to which it impacts one's decision to live on that street/avenue.

bmc likes this.
  5. 10khours

10khours Well-Known Member

Ideally you should stand on that street during morning or afternoon weekday peek hour to get an idea of traffic noise.

Other things you can look at are.

Number of lanes (less is better, the quietest streets will have usually have no lane markings at all).
    Speed limit (traffic noise increases with speed)
    Look around on street view or satellite view to try and guage the busyness of the road. This can be tricky though as you don't know if those images were taken during peak hour or not.

6. skater

skater Well-Known Member

More information is required. Let's start with the suburb, shall we? There are Avenue's and there are Avenue's. For instance, this is where I grew up. Morrison Avenue, Wombarra.

Google Maps

Hardly a busy thoroughfare. This Avenue is along the escarpment and is a very pretty route for the residents, but outside of the residents, gets little traffic. An avenue is just another name for a street, and while some are busy, the word busy, is relative. You may say that it's busy because there's a roundabout, but where I live now, there's heaps of streets with roundabouts, that aren't really busy. They are busier than the surrounding streets, but, like I said before, it's relative. They are nowhere near as busy as the main roads.

Last edited: 10th Dec, 2021
    Hamish84 and wylie like this.
  7. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

there is a naming convention and developers will make it sound as grand as possible (for obvious reasons)

but it may not always be representative of the traffic volume

Road - The most general category, this is a way that connects two points
    Street - A public way with buildings on both sides. Often, it runs perpendicular to an avenue
    Avenue - A public way often in a city, usually with trees or buildings on the side. Frequently, it runs perpendicular to a street
    Boulevard - A large, wide street with trees on both sides. Often, there's a median with trees

this link might help.
    if not, you will need to visit the site and count cars.

Hamish84 likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia