Buying Property in Castle Hill and then Subdivide

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Ankit_9811, 8th Jan, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Ankit_9811

Ankit_9811 Member

Hi All,

Me and My friend is thinking of Buying a property in castle hill and then further subdividing it with two separate titles to live in

I have got hold of the Land_Use_Matrix from castle hill and can see that castle Hill council allows dual occupancy house to be created on all
    R1 General Residential R2 Low Density Residential R3 Medium Density Residential Land.

What I also understand that there are certain conditions which should also be fulfilled for this Like
    • Blocks must be at least XXX square metres, or the minimum lot size according to council, whichever is greater.
    • For dual occupancies where one dwelling is located above another, the block must be at least XX metres wide.
    • Buildings must have a minimum side setback of XX metres. Greater setbacks apply for blocks wider than XX metres.
    • Each dwelling must be at least XX metres wide and can’t be more than XX metres high.
    • Each dwelling must face a public road, and can’t be located behind another dwelling except on a corner lot.
    • Each dwelling must have at least one off-street parking spot.
    • Dual occupancies must be a permitted land use under the council’s local environmental plan.
    I have also called the townplanner requesting the information and he suggested that I should look at https://www.legislation.nsw.gov.au and look for further information here.

Can anybody guide me where Can I get specific information cause at the moment I only have vague idea but I am keen to understand this in detail.

Appreciate if anyone can share there experience in hills council and share the links where I can understand more about the sub-division + Separate Title.

Also, if anyone can suggest a good townplanner for Castle Hill - Hills council area.

Attached Files:

2. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Dual occs generally means a tax issue for one of the titles since you and your immediate family cant live in two dwellings. If you both plan to split title so that you + friend each own a dwelling seek legal advice early on how to do this.

Rather than speaking to the council TP speak to a local TP who can advise you. Free advice is the worst advice you can buy. I have had people deal with Outlook TPs who cover a broad area.

Last edited: 8th Jan, 2020
    Archaon likes this.
  3. Ankit_9811

Ankit_9811 Member

I spoke to a private townplanner today. He told me castle Hill has a minimum lot size of 700sq Mt for both R2 and R3 zoning. They told as Dual occupancy specifically duplex with common wall is possible but Hills council does not allows to split title.

Spoke to council they said the same.

I am not able to understand that how are people selling lots under 700sq mt? For eg these one

37 Woodlands Street, Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153 37 Woodlands Street, Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153

3A Murrills Crescent, Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153 3A Murrills Crescent, Baulkham Hills, NSW 2153

4. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

What makes you think you can build better or cheaper compared to just buying half a duplex?

5. Ankit_9811

Ankit_9811 Member

Making it is cheaper + build as per my needs + brand new + close to my friends house.

6. KateSydney

KateSydney Well-Known Member

Looks as though Woodlands St was done in 2012/13 and Murrills Cres sometime before 2016. Is there any chance the rules have changed since these?

7. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

Those could both be Strata subdivisions, 700m2 minimum lot size is for Torrens title subdivisions with no DA for a dwelling.

Not sure about the Hills, but in Maitland council, you can Torrens Title to a minimum of 300m2 with DA approved plans that meet private open space and setback requirements.

8. Ankit_9811

Ankit_9811 Member

Hi guys,

Thanks for responses. Got my answer to this question. The reason this property was subdivided was although the property has address of Baulkhum Hills it falls under Parramatta council which has different rules.

Thanks

KateSydney likes this.
  9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

There's your solution - find land which was transferred from the Hills to Parramatta due to the amalgamation of council areas.

Archaon and KateSydney like this.