Buying Property before auction

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by JK200SX, 23rd Apr, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Went to an open a week ago and I asked the agent if the owner would accept offers prior to auction. Agent replied yes, but S32/contract was not available. Once contract was available I went to open again and said I want to make an offer... he went but,but,but...etc. I said to him you said its ok, etc. He then said he will call me after all the saturday auctions/opens are done and get back to me, however he never called back.

What should my next plan of attack be on Monday morning?

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Wait for the agent's call. It seems obvious that the vendor may want to go to auction which is different to what the agent was initially led to believe.

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Did you get hold of the section 32?
    Are you prepared to make an unconditional offer?

(The agent should be advising his clients NOT to accept any offer until 3 days prior to the auction. In Vic, this allows the contract to be made on auction conditions - ie unconditional).

The Y-man

KateAshmor likes this.
  4. JK200SX

Yes I have the S32, and told the agent I was prepared to make an offer, unconditional with cheque book in the hand.

5. The Y-man

Odd then - he should have pounced..... mention an indicative price bracket of your offer?

The Y-man

6. JK200SX

Yes, I mentioned a price, ie at the higher end to get him to "pounce"... Maybe I'll get a phone call tomorrow?

7. The Y-man

Be interested to know - they might be waiting for an indication from the vendor.

The Y-man

8. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

But you can't contract out of the three business day cooling off period - unless you buy within three business days of an advertised auction.

The agent/vendor may want to wait until you're closer to the auction, so you can't cool off.

9. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I like to keep the "ball in my court".

I would be calling the agent first thing to set up a meeting to put your offer on paper.

10. Avi Kumar

Avi Kumar New Member

The agent needs put any offers made prior to auction to the owner and it is the owners call to say yes or no to the offer. Offer has to be on paper and if confident enough, it has to be unconditional if it is very close to auction. If it is very close to the auction then it has to be an offer that the owners cant say no too.