Buying private sale Victoria process

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by couq, 8th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. couq

couq Well-Known Member

I am quite new to the buying process.

I have found that at times I have offered a unconditional contract that some agents will hold the contract for 24 hours before they present to vendor. In this process they call all other interested parties to start a private sale auction like process.

Is this quite normal as I don't like getting into a bidding war. Are there ways around this for quick sale. I know a sunset clause of 24 hours or 5pm that same day is possible.

2. Simon Moore

Simon Moore Residential & Commercial Mortgage Broker Business Member

Level 2 287 Collins St Melbourne VIC 3000
    I think you answered your own question ;) You could even make an offer that morning that expires 12 pm. Always have a solicitor/conveyancer look over the contract to ensure you have the correct clauses/conditions.

Last edited: 9th May, 2017
    KateAshmor likes this.
  3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Pretty normal. If you have offered unconditional, 99 times out of 100 no worries - I have rarely had a genuine unconditional come up against me in the time frame.

They will usually present to the vendor straight away - and any vendor in their right minds should ask the agent "can you call all the others who expressed an interest please before I sign this?"

ALWAYS put yourself in the vendors shoes (unless they are barefoot....)

The Y-man

Gypsyblood and couq like this.
  4. KateAshmor

KateAshmor Victorian Conveyancing Lawyer Business Member

No need to get into a bidding war, but it's prudent to be strategic. You wouldn't want to lose a good property over a small difference in the purchase price. Plus it's handy to reserve another 5-10K in your budget (hold it back from your offer), to later increase your offer if the agent pushes you. That way, the vendor feels that they have "won", the agent looks like they have added value and you're fine, because that extra money was always in your budget!

Gypsyblood, couq and JacM like this.
  5. couq

couq Well-Known Member

Thanks guys great tips!

6. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

I'm in a similar situation- we bought at auction last time so aren't quite sure how private sale process works. We have found one we are keen on that's within budget.
    It's a great price, but we have only just began a refinance/equity release but our broker has provided us with a max figure for the new IP purchase. The property we are looking at is 70k under this figure.
    Serviceability is there, it's just a matter of the refinance going through, releasing equity and then making a new app for the new IP.
    Is it okay to make offers now or do we wait til the refinance and equity release is done before we go making offers? If it's okay to make offers now,
    how should I word a "subject to finance"and "building and pest clause"?

Gypsyblood likes this.
  7. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Hi @Otie

You really should have a solicitor/conveyancer chosen first and have them guide you.
    With respect to deposit money... keep in mind that when you go under contract, deposit money will be due soon thereafter so you must have access to this money. Unless you have that money lying around it would be far safer to wait for your equity release to be settled (not just approved, but settled).

Perthguy likes this.
  8. Gypsyblood

Gypsyblood Well-Known Member

Hi Otie, private sale is 10 times better for buyers I feel so you are better off. My advice would be to wait until refinance. Refinance can sometimes not go as quickly as planned. However if the property is an amazing buy, cover yourself but putting in relevant clauses in the contract (engage a good conveyancer to help you) so you can get out relatively unscathed.