Buying Overseas

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Alex123711, 28th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

financial markets.. yes
    commercial property.. posibbly top 3 in the world.

residencial.. no

avg home in nyc = 500k
    san fran 800k.

technically the tech world is worth more than the financial world.. if you go by market cap..

xD

2. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

3. KinG3o0o

4. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I was referring to value for money - i.e. the features that make a city a worthwhile investment (and/or good place to live) and what you get for the price you pay. Just because something is expensive, it doesn't mean it's better.

Take Sydney for example - most of the city is very overpriced for what it is. You could buy in many places in Australia, for example, that are "better" than an outer suburban house there for the same amount of money or less. It's bizarre to use a price tag as the only indication of quality.

virhlpool likes this.
  5. val

val Well-Known Member

What did you invest in Makati?
    Friend got a condo OTP here The Rise Makati which is going well

Last edited: 7th May, 2018
  6. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Japan and China! Yes.

7. KinG3o0o

just apartments ?

can foreigner buy land/houses in Philippines. ??

Shang Salcedo Place

shangarila came in and decided to manager the building.. it kinda became a service apartment now.. lol.. not sure if i wanna sign with them.. good guaranteed return but the management fees @.@

did you venture into bangkok.. they building up for one belt one road..

i got couple of cheapies in wattanna & bangkok.. not sure how it will stack up when finished.. opposite ikea, good spot i hope ?

if you bought in sydney, you make more money (percentage) than anywhere else until last 12 months or so ago.. the further back you go the wider the difference between sydney and other cities.

sydney is also a damn good place to live in (imo) . you milage may wary

price tag is not an indicator of quality rather what value people put on the property, because its a free market economy (if u really believe it). supply and demand. for any investment demand dictates the price. and your return is determined by the demand.. so in there is a reason why its a high price.. the high price its not just "because".

if your buying a holiday home or PPOR. then of course its not the same the return may or may not be in consideration of your purchase decisions.

Last edited: 7th May, 2018
  8. val

val Well-Known Member

Foreigners can't buy house/land but they can buy condominiums (60% foreigner quota)

9. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

My friend just did a deal on a condo in cebu, super nice condo not to sure what the returns will be.
    I'm seriously considering selling my place in Tassie to build another place on my land on Siargao.
    I was there 2 weeks ago trying to plan what to build by laying out coconut wood as a size reference etc, going to build a 2 or 3 bed house next, still undecided.

10. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

beautiful place Cebu is. but the slums saddened me.

11. val

val Well-Known Member

Where are the slums in cebu .. are they in cebu city or outskirts? I'd like to visit

12. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Go to Lapu Lapu city and surrounds, and further out. We also visited the area where they burned rubbish day and night and people in slum scavenged for thing to use or sell. Also visit olango island.

val likes this.
  13. KinG3o0o

ya i know about apartments... thats why i got to buy them.. i was pretty sure about the no foreigner land rule.. but im not 100% on it .

14. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

What are the rules like for buying there? Also how do you find places to buy? I'm interested in Japan

15. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Do you know the Japanese language to the point you can read contracts? If yes, you can deal with a local agent. If not, best to go through someone who know English (or whatever language you know) and Japanese. Eg., a branch of an Aussie international agent. Borrowing doesn't come easy if you are not Japanese, need a bank who is sympathetic to foreign incomes. Then my rule is always go to have a look at the property yourself. I have so far limited to Tokyo and Osaka downtown, where the demands are.

16. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

Thanks, how about China?

17. spoon

spoon Well-Known Member

Limited to 4 cities. Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and Guangzhou. That’s my advice. Again downtown or key suburbs with big retail establishments or good universities. Same wisdom as in the land of Oz

18. KinG3o0o

i will 2nd shenzhen is turning in to some kind of a silicon valley of china..& with cross proximity to hong kong.. could be a worth looking into !

19. Butterfly88

Butterfly88 Well-Known Member

Hi all. Just thought I'd jump in here. I'm in Seoul at the moment. People on the ground here eg. realtors are themselves buying in Vietnam. I know nothing about this market but just putting it out there..

20. KinG3o0o

how ? dont vietnam have a no foreigner rule, its a communist country, you can only buy the right to build/use the land, you cant "own" it. so technically its a lease.

if they are doing a JV with local, then good luck to them.