Buying Overseas

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Alex123711, 28th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

seeing as Australia is very overpriced at the moment have many people been buying or looking into overseas? Have seen a few people buying in America, what about other countries such as Japan, China, Portugal or anywhere else? Commercial or residential?

Priscilla James likes this.
  2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Open questions are impossible to answer.

Colin Rice likes this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Will be settling on number 13 in USA, in the main resi, only 1 commercial. Also purchased land for future builds.

My goal is to buy another 17 in US over the next 2 years as I can now leverage from my properties in US.
    Currency play may be the sweetner.

Have some photos on media if you may want to view.

Be interested in what/where others are investing

MTR:)

4. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

south east asia for me.

mainly thailand,vietnam,malaysia,and phillipines.

when the time is right will go into singapore.

.did 2 in london for the heck of it while i was there.

want to do usa.. maybe mtr need to start a one stop buyer agency

i am still looking in sydney.

i need a new ppor lol

Last edited: 28th Mar, 2018
  5. Alex123711

Alex123711 Well-Known Member

I'd be interested in viewing the media

What are those countries like for foreigners buying?/ getting loans? Any websites you use to find property or do you go there physically?

6. val

val Well-Known Member

Currently trying to sell a condo in Thailand and will settle on another one soon in Philippines. Thai condo will sell on 6%+ yield, the Phil's condo is for holidays and will try get a local to Airbnb it.

7. Noobieboy

Noobieboy Well-Known Member

True. @MTR interested in BA services?

8. Xiao Hui

Xiao Hui Well-Known Member

Singapore property prices has been on the upward swing since 6 months ago. It is the first time property prices here increase after a 4 year decline.

Many are predicting that this rise will be sustained through till 2020. And house prices will be up at least a 30% then.

But don't be too happy. For those who are thinking of buying here. You have to think thrice.

It is a highly controlled market where foreigners are banned from buying govt subsidised flats which comprise 75 percent of all housing stock. Also prohibited is the very limited and expensive house and land which comprise just 5 percent of Singapore's properties. So what are available for foreign investors are the left over of 20 percent which is what they term as "condominiums " locally.

And to buy these condominiums, you need very deep pockets. A brand new 100sqm condominium will easily set you back A$1.4m in a normal surburb. Plus as a foreigner, you have to pay additional stamp duty of 15% of property price ( Australia learn this from Singapore). Plus it's only on 99 year leasehold. After 99 years, this property will theoretically be returned to the Singapore government. Plus, it's very hard to get loans for buying houses here now due to govt restrictions. Even if you can get, you have to fulfil a debt servicing ratio which stipulate that your total debt or loan (include loans like car or personal loans) cannot exceed 60 percent of your income.

Surprisingly, despite the above, Singapore properties are highly sought after by worldwide investors. This is because it is seen as a very stable market and it offers a very quality lifestyle - just like Australia. This demand would have been much greater if not for the presence of the above "anti - speculation " measures, which heavily punish not just foreigners, but locals alike who buy properties as investment. No wonder that Singapore is touted as the "most expensive" place to live in now.

https://www.propertyguru.com.sg/pro...apore-lords-over-worlds-most-expensive-cities

So for all of us who's complaining the high house prices in Sydney or Melbourne, take cue from what's happening in Singapore.

Last edited: 29th Mar, 2018
    mitsui and Blueskies like this.
  9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Interesting
    Looks like Singapore is a no go

ndpjai likes this.
  10. KinG3o0o

funny u ask. guess who is in to the SEA real estate scene too.
    Tech in Asia - Connecting Asia's startup ecosystem

iproperty & property guru are the go to sites.

for funding each to their own.

malaysian and singapore like someone posted foreigners pay extra stamp duty because they are facing same situation as aus and nz, and yield in resi is pretty abysmal. commercial on the other hand.. very nice. but price of entry is high.

thailand and phillipines you cant buy "land" as a foreigner so your stuck with strata

11. ndpjai

ndpjai Well-Known Member

I understood 10 years back its a big "NO" unless you have deep and open pockets

12. Karina

Karina Well-Known Member

Been buying in USA since 2010. Just secured my 48th US property today. Now purchasing in 3 different states. Latest deal secured today was 52k, rent around $750+ month, rehab $6k. USA is a great market for positive cashflow properties.

13. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

NZ can be good too. Bought a 2 bed cottage for $130k in 2010 just valued around $300k. Bought a three houses last couple of years up $100k each. Selling 2 houses this year bought 4yrs ago $60k net profit each. Bought a block of 2x2 bed units for $130k each this year renting at $270p w each.

All of these were at least 8% gross yield or higher from purchase and no stamps to pay.

Last edited: 29th Mar, 2018
    Summersky, C-mac and Darren like this.
  14. Darren

Darren Well-Known Member

I have just finished building 2 one bedroom units on Siargao island in the Philippines, had planned to buy more land but the prices had trippled in 6 months so I built on my land instead.
    IF i told you guys my rent returns you would not believe me.
    Land prices in the past 12 months have increased x3, beach front has gone around x6.
    To say Siargao is booming is an understatement.
    Happy days

Summersky likes this.
  15. Xiao Hui

Xiao Hui Well-Known Member

16. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

You might as well buy in New York City over Singapore then with as one bedders (condo, not co-op) around 1 million

17. hieund85

hieund85 Well-Known Member

The total stamp duty a foreigner needs to pay when purchasing a property there is around 18%. The 15% you quoted is just the additional stamp duty on top of the normal one which is a scaled number. You also can source freehold condos but they come with a premium. However, Singapore is still a stable attractive market simply because the quality of life and stable rental demand (yield is pretty good compared to interest rate). Land is limited esp with strictly gov control so in longterm, your capital should be doing ok.

18. KinG3o0o

hey.. i am invested in philipines too..im in makati tho.. cause my friend is a developer he tapped me in some of them.. rental is not as good as you in siargao but capital appreciation since OTP.. has been amazinnnnngggg.

not the same market tho..in new york, yes there is wall street..and new york is new york.

singapore is the financial and medical hub of south east asia in size of a country smaller than sydney...

until recently both have good argument for investment....

both offer different lifestyle choices.. to live in.. i will choose sg over nyc anytime any day.. san francisco is the us choice for me..

san fran is way more expensive than nyc for a one bedroom btw xD

Darren likes this.
  19. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Singapore is an important city in the region but NYC is the capital city of the world IMO

20. K974

K974 Well-Known Member

Bought a house in ireland , you could have thrown a dart at a map of Dublin in 2011 a Made great money

Ketsle likes this.