Buying opposite a new school

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by smallbuyer, 8th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. smallbuyer

smallbuyer Well-Known Member

Hello,
    A friend was looking at buying a house opposite bush which a school is planned to be built on. Is this considered a positive or negative in people opinions?

cheers

2. Clyde

Clyde Well-Known Member

Could be both, but generally I would say it was more a negative.

A mate of mine lives directly opposite a primary school. Easy to take the kids to school, but for retired people or the like, you here the bells and loud speaker calls all throughout the day.

If I had a choice, I would prefer not be across the road.

wylie likes this.
  3. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Negative. Noise, traffic, people parking all over the place.

4. Islay

Islay Well-Known Member

We live across from a primary school and love it. We are across from the back of their playground not the front. They are amazing neighbours. They are only there 42 weeks of the year. No late night noise or parties. 2 school discos until 9pm/year. They wave to us when we go out to our cars. They are respectful and friendly. Our children did go to this school but we are now retirees. They have amazing play equipment that our grandchild is welcome to use outside school hours, holidays etc. I guess it depends on the school and where you live?

ollidrac nosaj and Westminster like this.
  5. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That can have good and bad aspects - if it is a good school, catchment area is critical so prices can increase more than the negative impacts of parking, noise, traffic etc.

Traffic can now extend to before/afterschool care, sports, out of hours activities. These issues will increase if the street is narrow?

Are they at the front or back of the school?

6. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

I've lived next to a school and this is what happened to my PPOR.
    - LOTS of rubbish blown in from wrappers etc
    - people parking in and over your driveway, even on your nature strip

7. SLP07

SLP07 Well-Known Member

When recently purchasing our poor, we found a lovely home opposite a primary school... the house and suburb ticked all the boxes. I was unsure about the primary school being opposite so I pretty much went to the property every day for a 2 week period to check, traffic, noise ect... by the end I didn’t make it to auction day being so close was not for us.

8. Bendigus

Bendigus Well-Known Member

There's a old 1970s family house near me currently for sale. Its a bit run down and needs some renos. But overall its spacious houae, useable layout and backyard. It's located right beside a primary school with about 300 kids.

The house has been on the market now for a long time. Longer than houses normally would be.

I'm tempted to go inspect the place a and give a very low offer. The house is concerning from a capital growth perspective. But from a yield perspective I think it looks great.
    I don't think renters would be deterred by the school.

Do you need help with investment strategies, don’t want to buy the wrong stocks, or you just need a regular income stream? We provide the research to ensure your investment selections achieve the goals. This is the value of advice.