QLD Buying on rail line

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by dan2101, 27th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Not to mention the traffic going to and from said station

2. dan2101

dan2101 Well-Known Member

Thanks for the advice everyone think I might keep looking!

3. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

It would depend on why you want to buy in that location in the first place. I bought a house in exactly the position to a train line, you can barely hear the train when inside and don't even notice a train after 2 days. What no-one realized was the other side of the train line was the back of the hospital, very convient for shift workers and those who work double shifts. ( don't need a car, or have to use non existent or poorly scheduled public transport) The tenants just walk across the railway line to go home for their lunch hour and don't spend 2 hours of their 8 spare hours a day in transit when working a double shift. I paid $215k and rent it for $630 a week.

Gibson likes this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I purchased with rail practically in the backyard, but then purchased cheap, development site and on sold with plans and permits for 8 apartments to a builder. The builder thought it was very attractive low end product to sell OTP to investors.

So there is an exception, but with this comes more risk.

Would I do it again, probably not, as I did this in a rising market, but if the market were to turn it would be difficult to sell this product.

MTR:)

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I got a bit worried at the title of the thread - not sure how long a house would last if it was ON the rail line :eek:

The Y-man

6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

They say to buy close to the the train, but closer to the station than the track is probably better.

7. Paul Luck

Paul Luck Active Member

I live 130m from a Brisbane train line, 500m from the station and find the noise a complete non issue. It's barely audible at night and don't notice it at all during the day. Brisbane electric trains arn't exactly that noisy. Compared to living on even a moderately used road I would choose near a train line any day. The value of being within walking distance to a train station also adds tremendous value.

8. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Which station do you live near Paul?
    Are you up on a hill or in a valley?
    The sound seems to carry down or flat a fair way.

9. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Agree with Azazel, it maybe geographical. My new IP is 750m from the station/500 metres from the train track but I can still clearly hear the trains. Both the train line and my IP are elevated is the reason for this perhaps?

Anyway, it's a quiet area except for the bird life and the train sound is unobtrusive, nice to have audible confirmation that they are running. In Sydney weekend trackwork is so common.

10. Paul Luck

Paul Luck Active Member

The land is flat where I am. Like you the train line was a concern for me when we first bought the house but seriously after a month we don't even hear it anymore, except for the steam train that comes through once a month, but that is a nice sound :)

I also used the live near Ferny Grove (next station from Keperra) and the train didn't bother me then either. Note the line from Ferny Grove to Keperra is fairly long distance so the trains get up to a higher speed and therefore more noise depending where you are. My current house the stations are quite close so the trains never get up to speed which probably helps.

11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Ugh, track work on the weekend seems to be constant. Poor people who have to work on weekends.

12. Mayjong

Mayjong Active Member

Few years ago We used to rent an apartment overlooking the train line...even though you get used to it, the noise gets quiet annoying and you have to pause the conversation every time the train passes by .. It's great to break the argument with the Mrs ... The balcony was unusable as well.

13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Hehe, yeah, we get that when they change the flight path.
    Usually happens when we have friends/relos visiting overnight : /

14. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

Somehow the apartment building in Sydney St. Leonards still in demand with low vacancy :eek: ?
    it is right above the train station.

15. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Yeah, I can't imagine they have better technology than the smart state ;)
    They built an apartment building over the track Burwoo too, I'm sure it's all full.

Tekoz likes this.
  16. Tekoz

Tekoz Well-Known Member

@dan2101 & @Azazel
    yes, I agree, looking at the new white / grey-ish apartment building everytime I go past Burwood station, I wonder how and why those apartment still comamnding high price $1m + for 3 bedders and $900k+ for 2 bedders, it is right at the train tracks so only few meters away.

Mate, soon in the next few years, Central station in Sydney will be covered by residential apartment project :eek:

So yes, it should not be a problem living near or above the station.

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Crikey.
    I guess if they have the technology to ensure it doesn't vibrate through the whole building it would be Ok.

Tekoz likes this.
  18. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

19. Jeah_

Jeah_ Well-Known Member

So how much would people de-value a property that is virtually on a train line?

[​IMG]

This place has been on the market for 75+ days at mid 500s in a suburb where equivalents away from the line would be 700s. Currently tenanted long term at $495/week. Does a rail line really command a 25-30% reduction or is there something else I'm not seeing here?

20. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Well it's really not a very good outlook having that right out your front door. It's not going to get much louder than right there.