Buying old house for investment Campbelltown

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by VAN, 3rd May, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. VAN

VAN Member

Hi all

My first post. I am new to Oz and the property market.

I would want to start getting in to the market ..my current situation
    Want to stick on to renting wher I am now as it's convenient for my kids schooling etc.
    Based on various banks and calculators online we can borrow upto 500k max.
    Savings 50k available.

With this if I am not looking at units ..would buying a 25 year old house for 530k with 700m2 land currently renting for 400+/week in Campbelltown be a good option to consider.

There are land available at that rate but they are less in size and I don't have capacity to build on top any soon.

What are your thoughts and suggestions?

2. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

You need more than 50K, lending is getting harder
    say 10% deposit that takes to 53K, then you got stamp duties, legal cost, Lender mortgage insurance, factoring in rate rise in the next few years etc..

Maybe save a bit more, educate a bit more before you make a move, You entering toward the end of a boom in NSW market so do the number carefully, there may not be any capital gain for a while

you got the right idea buying house with a block of land rather than unit or apartment as land appreciates over time

Last edited: 3rd May, 2018
  3. Property Twins

Property Twins Mortgage Brokers & Buyers Agents Business Member

$50k will only really allow you to buy an owner occupier property due to stamp duty waivers for FHB.

Alternatively you could wait to save another 15k and purchase a $400k IP.

Ultimately depends on your goal.... what is your driver for buying in Sydney? That too at this point in the property cycle?