Buying old Churches

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 31st Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

noticed a lot of old Churches for sale lately particularly in Country Areas.

Has anyone purchased a Ex Church and converted it into a home ??

I love the leadlight windows however and the double wooden doors.

Attached Files:

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Nice church. I'd pray the upkeep is not too expensive. Look after it and people will worship the place. The tradies will be singing hymns as they go about their work.

3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I reckon if you can get it feeling like a homr and not a converted church it will become trendy and hip

I looked quickly at some churches and couldnt figure out how to get rid of the hall like atmosphere

Howeevr i have the creativity of a piece of cheese though

4. thatbum

thatbum Well-Known Member

Yeah I bought one and will be starting conversion work shortly. Its not that old though - built in 1962.

mrdobalina and Xenia like this.
  5. TobyRichardson

TobyRichardson Active Member

Are you the guy who bought one East of Narrogin?

6. thatbum

Yep. Does that mean I'm famous? ha

bob shovel likes this.
  7. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Congrats. Love converted churches.

Any chance you could please share some pics/the conversion through a thread?

8. thatbum

Yeah sure thing. I'm actually intending to blog about the whole process so I'll get it all up and running when the conversion work starts later this year!

mouseburger, ellejay, EN710 and 5 others like this.
  9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Fantastic. I've been curious what kind of work is involved to carry this out. And zoning laws etc that allow you to do it.
    Have fun

10. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Congratulations That bum
    This deserves a new post on the progress.

11. House

House Well-Known Member

There's a church reno on almost weekly on Restoration Homes. Amazing results but every single one seems to put the buyer under enormous financial and mental stress. Always seems to be a case of "we've never done a reno before so let's take on this huge project that we're in no way qualified for."

Melbourne has a few stunning churchy homes-

http://www.katrinaleechambers.com/stunning-sunday-the-church-for-sale-in-south-melbourne/

image.jpeg

Inside is definitely worth a look
    Houzz Tour: Church Renovation a Golden Opportunity

image.jpeg

Apparently becoming more popular http://www.news.com.au/finance/real...hes-as-new-homes/story-fndba8uq-1226848103872

WattleIdo, willair and Barny like this.
  12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Friends of ours bought a country church. My husband helped them number every piece and dismantle it to bring to Brisbane...(every Saturday for months and me with a new baby - should have put my foot down).

They rebuilt it (using a builder) and it was beautiful, very much the style of the one just above this post, but was tall enough to hold a second level inside.

This couple ended up divorced and it was sold. But it really was beautiful. It cost them very little because hubby gave them dozens of days of free labour and they did a huge amount themselves.

There is another church (also very like the one just above this post) in Coorparoo that has been retained and married with a block of townhouses behind. It is obviously an old church, but it has lost its appeal and they've added a strange side flyover walkway roof beside it. The one above this post still appeals to me though. I don't mind the marriage of old and new (but hated this concept 30 years ago when we renovated a old bungalow and an architect wanted to do old/new).

Bran likes this.
  13. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Aren't all the old churches in Adelaide being turned into nightclubs and gentlemen's clubs?

14. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

East of Narrogin is most of Australia isn't it?

thatbum and Terry_w like this.
  15. Aaron Sice

Aaron Sice Well-Known Member

That one is a doosie - MCM to the core.

Did you see the one in Narrogin Town Centre? Or was is you that put me onto it? That would be a good conversion into smaller business lets with a studio above - maybe a small short-stay let. Narrogin is big enough to accommodate that.

I'm working with the family that own the Bulwer St converted church next to niB Stadium.

It's a 4x2 and a 2x2 in the one space, with a commercial space over Brisbane St. Just gorgeous.

Bulwer Loft Apartment - 2 bedroom - Apartments for Rent in Perth

charttv and bob shovel like this.
  16. CU@THETOP

CU@THETOP Well-Known Member

Where about in Coorparoo if I can ask?

17. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Excuse the pun.
    We should refer to splitting blocks as divorcing.

18. wylie

On Cavendish Road, between the old Myer centre and the railway station (on the city side).

Just google Cavendish Road, and look for the corner of Bath Street. It is updated and you can see the finished product.

19. wylie

I could so easily live in an old church. Hubby not so keen. Neither of us is religious but I do worry a little that people who've not met us who might come into our living room will think "best not swear like a trooper here" when they see the religious art on the walls :D. So I sometimes get in first with the cussing :p.

I feel secretly guilty that I love religious art without being religious.

samiam likes this.
  20. thatbum

Yeah that was me. I think someone ended up buying it and just renting it out as office space.

It was great in so many ways, but a few problems - it was strata'd in with the other units around it, and it was quite run down.

Funnily enough the agent who sold me mine and was the agent for the narrogin one called me up last year to say she had a couple more likely to hit the market this year. In Corrigin and Harrismith apparently.

Aaron Sice likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia