Buying off the plan then selling prior settlement

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by VinMariani, 5th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. VinMariani

VinMariani Well-Known Member

Hi guys,

I wanted some advice regarding buying off the plan then selling prior settlement.

I bought two apartments for which I put down a deposit (they are currently being built) and the settlement is due in November.

I would like to keep one apartment but possibly on-sell the second prior to settlement.
    Is it at all possible to do this and actually break even or even make some money on it?

What would be involved? Would I need to contact a RE agent and formally advertise it etc?

Thanks

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Yes it is possible.

First point would be to read the original contract and see if there are any restrictions. Then get legal advice from your property lawyer, and then find an agent.

3. Nick Valsamis

Nick Valsamis Well-Known Member

If you are restricted from doing this, then you can try asking the developer for a special exemption. Although it is probably unlikely that they would agree to it.

4. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Have a listen to the property couch podcast. Their recent one discussed getting out of purchasing if that's another option for you

5. VinMariani

Thanks.

I was actually nominated for these two properties so they weren't on-sold to me as such which is against the contract.

If I was to nominate the second property into another person's name, what is the process? Can I ask a RE agent to help me find someone willing to "buy" this way?

Or even contacting another property manager responsible for selling these apartments at the site to see if they have potential buyers?

Last edited: 5th Apr, 2016
  6. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

you recently appointed a property lawyer. he/she presumably has the contracts or at least access to them.

why don't you get specific advice from them based on the actual contract instead of random Internet opinions on the legality of something which is entirely based on the contract? how can anyone here answer that without knowing what is in the contract?

you've got a lawyer, use them. failing that, read your contract inside out. this is a legal question, why would you be asking a forum of random who don't have the contract in front of them? it's asking for trouble imo.

7. VinMariani

Good points. I did have a word with my lawyer and was told I can nominate but not on-sell these apartments.

I am just trying to figure out how people usually nominate others to buy their apartments rather than on-selling.