VIC Buying my first Investment Property

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by JatinDKumar, 11th Jan, 2022.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. JatinDKumar

JatinDKumar New Member

Hi Everyone,

Firstly I would like to thank the community here for education newbie like us.

Moving forward, I am at a stage in my life where I am ready to start my financial freedom journey, first step buying my first Investment Property.

First steps are always daunting and I am no difference.

Budget:- 500k

Area:- I live in Victoria, I would like to buy in Victoria.

Time:- 15-20 years I want to hold the property

Reason:- I am happy to get the 2nd or 3rd beat deal in Victoria rather then buying 1st best deal in QLD or NSW with no local experience there and Relying on BA's and Rea estates agents seems more risky at the end of the day it out savings.

Area:- I did research for a week, read some books and started finding rating of suburbs on Boomscore with all the criteria they have outlined.
    Suburbs I shortlist Deer Park, Hoppers crossing, Carigieburn, Werribee ( arranged in the order of preference)

Confusing:-
    1. I am not getting the property (3 bed room house) I want in the top 3 Suburbs with my budget.
    2. Should I buy whatever comes in my budget in the top 3 Suburbs and let suburb profile do the magic ?
    3. Or should I buy maximum size property on low growth suburb i.e. Werribee and let time do the magic
    4. Should I buy 2 property $250 each in low growth suburb i.e. weribee or just one big Property.
    5. Should I get BA involved to negotiate or I should do it by looking at Corelogic report of property and offer 10% less then that price and get whatever discount I get.

Please help answering these questions as you folks always do.

Thanks and regards,
    Jatin.

2. momentum26

momentum26 Well-Known Member

You may need to revise your researching parameters

If your budget is firm you are required to look into other areas where recent sales have been at around $480K. I doubt you will find a standalone house anywhere in Melbourne. You'll have to go regional Vic.

This will depend on your budget, how comfortable you are buying it yourself.

Nando Lee likes this.
  3. applesathome

applesathome Well-Known Member

If you are happy anywhere in VIC, I would recommend taking your 500k and buying somewhere more regional, where you can still get a decent house and block in more desirable suburbs in that area.

Those parts of Melbourne's west, I would not be compromising to take "anything". You're not talking about Malvern here when it's desperate to get into the suburb of Deer Park.

4. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Could just be overthinking it. How about this? Show us some examples of what you find in each, and we can give you the pros and cons (other than about the actual property itself where you'll need a B&P).

The Y-man

5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Example:
    https://www.realestate.com.au/property-townhouse-vic-dandenong-136652862

Pro:
    3bd/2br - always trumps a 2br.
    901 smart bus to station
    1hr 20min to city (901+train)
    Set back away from street
    Near the Hospital (major employer)
    Behind Charcoal grill/Burek, Naan/Kebab joints

Cons:
    Big road address - will scare tenants regardless of positioning (need to make sure ad states it's tucked away from street)
    Behind Charcoal grill/Burek, Naan/Kebab joints

The Y-man