Technology & Social Media Buying mobile phone Outright or on Plan

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by L3ha7, 31st Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Thx @geoffw

2. abbyfresh

abbyfresh Well-Known Member

There is a whole thread in the making. How to negotiate with Telstra. Pay retail to start with and wait for one or more of the myriad of ways they may stuff up your product or account and then start the negotiations there. Before you know it you'll have plenty of credits and compensations but you will have to work for it though! Shall they do everything perfectly, enjoy the service!

Observer likes this.
  3. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I'm on 35GB shared with my wife. I won't get greedy.. they already gave me an extra 5GB.
    Thanks heaps!

Observer likes this.
  4. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

I think to be more cost effective I might choose - buy mobile phone outright (range from $150 to $300) and then combine it with BYO sim only plan (optus has) $40-unlimited everything with 15 gb data and 300 mins overseas, being an existing optus customer -I may get that down to $30.

Or

Virgin has $36 for 24 month plan with unlimited everything and 4gb data (not sure-need to chk data again) and 50$ for overseas calls and txts with option to get 1phone6 or iphone SE.

Telstra seems like a good deal but for $59/$49 it is bit expensive if we compare it with the above 2 based on 24 months.

5. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Sounds good.

Just be aware of coverage though. If you live and work in the city then Vida and Optus are great.

If you go out bush to remote locations then Telstra is the only game in town.

6. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm actually quite tempted by the JB/Telstra offer. $59/$49 includes a good data plan and a very good Google Pixel 2 phone.

My existing phone turned itself off three times in three minutes while I was talking with my boss.

7. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

You are killing me @geoffw very tempting ;)

What phone you had before this deal?

I do not like the oart that buy from JB Hifi and then apend time with Telstra to convince them to get credit. I know there is a high "Rate/Chance" to get that $10 off but if they refuse then I am stuck with $59 for 24 months....:(

8. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

I am around Parramatta.

9. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Hi @Eric Wu , did you buy Moto g5 plus online or from the likes of office works etc.?

10. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

Hi @L3ha7 , I bought it from online store

11. geoffw

The Moto G5 plus comes with a 12 month warranty. Pay the extra to make it a two year warranty. Many mobiles, especially budget phones, won't last the distance, especially if you're a heavy user. My Moto G4 lasted about 16 months on a 12 month warranty.

I decided to go with the Pixel 2 deal with Telstra. 24 months warranty was included, that's something I hadn't factored in when I started comparing. I suspect 24 months plans have to include that much warranty but I haven't checked that out.

I didn't get the reduction so it starts at $59.

A screen replacement in the first 2 year's is included (excess and conditions apply).

Eric Wu likes this.
  12. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

My moto G2 lasted over 3 years!

@L3ha7 Buy a "rugged case" from eBay for about $8 and whatever phone you buy will end up lasting much, much longer.

L3ha7 and Eric Wu like this.
  13. geoffw

Absolutely. Also get a tough glass screen protector.

Mine failed electronically. If I'd extended my warranty I wouldn't need a new one now.

L3ha7 likes this.
  14. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Today I have pulled the plug-spent faur bit of time on Telstra Chat and on phone but no way they are ready to budge for $10 discount (from $59 to $49) instead start asking me if they can give better broadband connection that is much more expensive lol. Then I went to jb Hifi and that $49 BYO is not bad as we can get $200 gift card but no international calling included.

Then spend fair but of time with optus on chat and on phone to see if I can get that 10% fiscount on any olan because I have home landline and broadband but not much lick as it is only for new service or porting number across.

Finally, selected $40 , 24 months plan that is mirrioring my current plan but with heaps of data so I get unlimited calls , txts, mms Aus wide and 300 overseas mins to selected countries and 15gb data with Oppo R9s 64gb.

So i be paying $10 more than what I am currently on but alot more data and free phone. Online there are alot of comparison of Oppo R9s vs iphone 6 because of the feel and looks , it has negatives about android version 6 instead of 7 but good battery life and Ram.

So I might by the $8 cover recommended by @hammer (thanks though) and give this to Mrs. and use her exusting Samsung S5 which is still in good condition ;)

On monday I might call the customer service of Optus to get that 10% off i can to bring it down to $36 ;)

I nearly went for $36 plan with virgin on iphone 6 testerday but glad I didn't.

Thank you so much everyone.

hammer likes this.
  15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

16. willister

willister Well-Known Member

I was with Vodafone (Kogan to be exact) on the $254 yearly plan for $21.16 a month for $20gig. I got my trust LG V20 for $330 on ebay (Australia version) back in early 17. I didn't find the need to have a new phone every 2 years so I never signed any locked in contract. My LG V20 is still pretty "modern" bar the camera, I think it matches most high end phones these days and I prefer the old square design (not curved).

I've recently moved to Boost though for a slightly more $300/year or $25/year, $46 more per year. It's on the Telstra network so better coverage - I found it quite annoying sometimes when i wasn't even remotely in remote areas like Mt. Dandenong or Lorne and Voda had poor reception. Both yearly plans offered the same 20 gig per month allowance but Boost's is rolling whereas Kogan reset itself every month. Boost also had International calls to selected countries for free, not much use for me but it's thrown in. You won't get the 4GX Telstra platform but I think their 4G is more than enough for me.

17. Coffee

Coffee Well-Known Member

18. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

There are some cracking phones available at the moment. Makes signing up to a plan look crazy.

The Nokia 6.1, moto g7, moto E, Oppo and even the older model iphones are all great. Like really, really great. And all under $400.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  19. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

I do the maths on a plan vs outright comparison a few times per year and if you get a good deal on a handset and prepaid plan, it ALWAYS works out better

For those cashflow poor , then a plan is good for you

20. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

Recently signed catch which is Optus (I dont have any service issues so don't need telstra)

31gb per month for $17
    I am super happy