Technology & Social Media Buying mobile phone Outright or on Plan

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by L3ha7, 31st Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

No option from work. But I do have work mobile phone.

2. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

I will check it out the Kogan deal but just wants to confirm if it gives all the unlimited calls,txts,mms all over australia and aome $/mins for iver seas calls and txts , and I assume 6gb is per month?

3. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

So I be getting iphone for free with vurgin but if I compare with my current monthly bill of $30 , I be paying $36 pm so for 24 months if I allocate $6 for iphone 6 or se then it is cisting me only $144

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Kogan Mobile Prepaid Voucher Code: SMALL (365 Days | 2GB Per 30 Days) | Prepaid Plans |

6GB is per 30 days. Unlimited calls and texts, no overseas allowance. But of course there's always Skype and stuff. I can't remember the last time I direct dialled an overseas number - and we do a lot of overseas calls, though to a country which is usually not included in any call allowance.

I don't know if it's the best plan around, I'm just comparing costs. Your deal sounded good until I went into the details. While I don't need a phone quite yet, my present phone is misbehaving a little and I want to be informed of the options, just in case.

One of the two iPhones is too small for me- 4 inches - the other - 4.7 inch - is barely good enough, so it doesn't quite suit me.

It's always hard to compare plans, because frequently the details are just a little different, and what suits one person may not suit another.

Some plans for instance give data roaming if you're travelling overseas (at a cost of course); the Kogan plans don't give that option.

5. geoffw

No, it's still costing you $36 per month.

Are you mad keen on an iPhone? There's some very good Android options out there at a cheaper cost. iPhones are good but I think you're paying extra for the name.

6. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

What about kogan's coverage ? It's a subprovider I think.

7. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

I have always been an android fan but Samsung is kinda playing up, my mate had huwai and after 10 mins talk it gets so hot etc. Etc

Added: i am paying 30$ on optus anyway hence I am using the $6 for mobile.

8. geoffw

Kogan use the Vodafone network.

9. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Thanks @geoffw, will check but I haven't met/heard anyone using kogan.

10. geoffw

I've been using Kogan.

Generally quite good, but I had an unusual black spot in an inner Melbourne suburb - it may have been temporary. Otherwise no difference from Optus.

11. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I've been using Kogan too. Price was great, and the service is fine most places. I got it just before Christmas (it was on special) and I like the huge data quantity I get each month (16gb). I could have gone with 6gb without worry but the 16gb price wasn't much more. One thing I can't do on the phone is call overseas. Which is good and bad. The good is the international phone scammers can't be called back.
    The bad is if I want to call an airbnb guest (e.g. in regards to checkin) and they gave an international number. But I rarely need to call a guest, and Sydney airport has wifi which people tend to use, so I manage to contact guests, no dramas. (And maybe the guests would be hit with roaming charges if they received the call... just guessing)
    Sometimes I communicate with guests via wechat... if they start a conversation with me on it. Whatever works for the guest.
    I've got a Galaxy Mega 2 (bought from Kogan) it's Samsung and it's huge. I've possibly had it since July 2015 and I feel it's not running as well as it could now and running out of space (some issue playing back a video) so I think I need to upgrade sometime. Photos in low light aren't good either.
    As a commuter, I like the screen size though. I tend to use it much more than the iPad (iPad2), which is also slow/apps close/videos sometimes stop and close midway (annoying).
    I just need to pull a trigger and commit to upgrading both devices.

L3ha7 likes this.
  12. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

I have met few people.who were using android platform phones and same issue, it hets hang then turn on and off etc. Once they made the switch to iphone no issues.

I am getting pulled into the virgin 36$ i phone 6/se plan.

I am sure there are other plans that can hive higher amount of data

13. AlexV_Sydney

AlexV_Sydney Well-Known Member

I'm with Aldi (Telstra) - prepaid, 10$ per month, unlimited SMS/calls, data rollover, best coverage. They give now 1.5GB of data but I never use more than 0.5 GB as I use mostly wifi @home/work and work 15 min walk from home. If I need for any reason more data, I can buy it temporary or switch to higher prepaid plan.

Never had plans with phones - what for? It was always cheaper to buy a phone + prepaid plan.

14. Gockie

I don't think iPhone is immune.

15. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

Apple intentionally slows down your phone with every software update. They ensure that you're stuck in the apple eco system by having you buy only apple made accessories etc. Don't support them!

Perthguy likes this.
  16. AlexV_Sydney

AlexV_Sydney Well-Known Member

No. Only if you have the old battery - you can replace the battery within 15 minutes - it costs $15-20. And with iOS 11.3 you can disable that feature.

17. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Hay... It is almost a 3 year old phone with comparatively lower spec than other Galaxies. You can't expect much more than that :)

18. Gockie

I agree. If I stayed longer at CBA I would've scored a new phone....
    So... I have to now buy my own...

L3ha7 likes this.
  19. geoffw

First world problems.

20. Gockie

What did I do in a past life to deserve such a terrible horrific problem....

Price Accounting are a leading tax service for your property + tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI for property focussed tax services using our client portal access, digital signing and checklist based approach for best pricing. Free client pack included.