Buying land with Fall

Discussion in 'Development' started by Kashxpert, 27th Jan, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Kashxpert

Kashxpert New Member

Hi Guys, just looking for a advice. I’m looking to buy a land to build my first home. I’m getting a very good deal on a land but I think there might be a reason why. In the description it says “land is suitable for split level home, it has 3M + fall”

3M+ fall is that a problem? Will it cost be a lot more to build? I don’t know what to do, any builders out there can answer that please?

It’s in a brand new development by the way and land is released and ready to built.

Any help would be great :))

It’s 625 Sq Meters

2. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

drainage to the rear can be an issue in established areas but assume this one would have had to have drainage sorted at approval stage.

Kashxpert likes this.
  3. Kashxpert

Kashxpert New Member

Thank you for your comment, do you have any idea if it cost significantly more to build on that kind of block?

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

typically yes a fair bit more

May require cut and fill which can be fun if the soil horizon is shallow.

Suggest you speak with a builder well before making the offer

ta
    rolf

Kashxpert likes this.
  5. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Be very very wary.

I assume that the fall is from front to back, ie the back is lower than the front?

Basically if the block was flat then it would be big enough for a single storey home. Due to the slope a single storey home can't be built on it and it will now need sort of the equivalent of a two storey home AND a lot of retaining to hold the lower level.

I would talk to local builders now but allow 50% more than a singe storey house for such a block

6. Big Daddy

Big Daddy Well-Known Member

Wouldn't a split level single story work? There's a block near me with a house that has 2 split levels since the slope is 4m. I would have guessed 20 to 30k max extra in site works and build costs.

Tufan Chakir likes this.
  7. sash

sash Well-Known Member

More like 50k....

8. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

If it’s in Canberra, check whether there are rocks involved. We bought a house in an older suburb with a big block with slope as described. No drainage problems (although we have had to replace some pipes due to age). Our front and back yard is full of boulders though, most under the surface. Made digging up pipes interesting for the guy on the digger. No dial before you dig for rocks. We’ve since heard from neighbours the whole are is the same.

We do have great view though.

Gforce likes this.
  9. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I suppose it depends on how high each split is.
    If the slope is gradual from front (not a giant fall in the middle) then it probably drops 1m every 10m (assuming 20 x 30m deep block).
    Maybe 2 x 1m drops in the house and the other 1m done as 2 x 500mm retaining in the garden.
    If the block is 15 x 40 then it would be more doable designwise

10. Angad Singh

Angad Singh Well-Known Member

Hi Kashxpert,

I'm a builder based in Perth, and I think @Westminster has given fantastic advice on this matter. Approach with caution.

The three main challenges with a sloping block are:
    1) drainage
    2) design
    3) site works and retaining

Each of these challenges needs to be thoughtfully approached and managed through both design and engineering. There are also variables such as soil type, council requirements, sewer location etc that make it difficult to through out an arbitrary number. Depending on how well (or poorly) you can manage each challenge, you could be up for anywhere between 20K-150K extra for that type of slope.

The only accurate manner in which you will get a realistic idea is by having a preliminary designed which identifies the levels, and then asking a builder to estimate on that basis. You must be extremely careful and select a builder that you trust as there is a tendency in the industry to underquote provisional sums for site works.

Warm Regards,
    Angad Singh

Gforce and Tufan Chakir like this.
  11. Hamish Blair

Hamish Blair Well-Known Member

Sub floor ventilation is also a consideration - white ants like dark moist areas if you are in an area that is prone.

12. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

A "floating floor", stumps etc become more attractive option than conc slab in dealing with slopes. Comments by Angad are important

Gforce likes this.