Buying land from the council

Discussion in 'Development' started by yamahamoto, 8th Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. yamahamoto

yamahamoto Active Member

I have DMed you @lixas4 , can you please help to recommend a lawyer, my surveyor contacted his solicitor but hasnt gotten back to me. Thanks

2. yamahamoto

yamahamoto Active Member

Long time I haven’t been to the forum but I would like to give an update on the post.

We just recently finished with our our adverse possession process. Probably took longer than it should but we had a few hick ups along the way.

first I like to thank @lixas4 for pointing me to the right direction from the start. We then contacted Phillip Leaman to get the ball rolling. We had to get previous owner to give us a transfer of possession (just a stat dec written up by Phillip) as we owned the land less than 15 years. Took us a while to convince them to do it (we actually paid them). Our land survey had to be corrected as it wasnt completed to what Land Victoria wanted. This was major thing as the letter Land Victoria addressed to our lawyer was lost in the mail so we didn’t know we needed to fix the survey. The application ended up getting cancelled. Our lawyer then managed to ask Land Victoria to prioritise the application on the relodgement. Took 4 months from the relodgment for the application to be approved.
    Now our next step is to subdivide the block.
    Thanks again for everyone’s comment in the post especially @lixas4.

Last edited: 26th Jul, 2022
    Gockie, craigc, lixas4 and 5 others like this.
  3. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

Great outcome, thanks for the update.

4. kennyboi

kennyboi Well-Known Member

@yamahamoto Can I get an idea of cost involved? One of my rental home has a laneway on plan but not used as a lane. My block is currently occupying it and used for access to a Granny Flat at the back. I believe it is council owned. I wonder if it is a good idea to claim the title? If claiming it, it would mean more land tax. But would it rattle the neighbour to object? If I leave it as is, would the neighbour claim it in future?

5. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Hi, are you in nsw? Because the laws relating to titles and adverse possession are state based, and @yamahamoto property is in vic. @bmc is a nsw surveyor and will know what is possible in nsw.

6. kennyboi

kennyboi Well-Known Member

Yes, I am in NSW. Thanks for the lead!

lixas4 likes this.