Buying IP via JV between Trust and SMSF?

Discussion in 'Superannuation, SMSF & Personal Insurance' started by artgul, 16th Aug, 2005.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. artgul

artgul Well-Known Member

Hi,

I’m thinking in setting up a SMSF and then partner with it (JV) in order to make a property purchase. The idea is to create a hybrid trust that would acquire an IP with potential for subdivision. The IP’s title would be under the trust structure. I would borrow from the Bank to buy units in the trust and the Bank would have a first mortgage under the property. SMSF would also purchase units from the trust and the trust would use those funds as a deposit for the IP.

I’d like to know if someone had done this before and what are the pitfalls and/or things I have to check / get right before getting into such arrangement.

Thanks,

Artgul

2. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

Hello Artgul
    Good question, but your SMSF cannot invest in a Part 8 associate (a related party or trust) that has encumbered the asset.

Traditionally, your strategy can work with a unit trust owning the property but with no encumberance on the property.

A HDT is not suitable for this type of investment as incoem distributed from a "discretionary trust" would be treated as special income and taxed at 47% in the hands of the SMSF.

Look at some other alternatives if your financial position allows it

Cheers
    NickM

3. artgul

artgul Well-Known Member

Hi NickM,

Thank you for the info. I have another option and would like to know your opinion/comments on it:

HDT owns a block of land. I organise and get Council approval for a subdivision then, I apply for a Bank loan in order to build 2 duplexes on the land. Before construction starts, I create a Unit Trust which will form a JV with SMSF to buy 1 of the duplexes of the plan from the HDT. The end result is that the JV of the SMSF and the Unit Trust will own a duplex mortgage free. Will this be possible?.

Thanks,

Artgul.

4. NickM

NickM Well-Known Member

Hi Artgul
    Without knowing all the facts, in theory it sounds ok but you must ensure it is at market value and all you bases are covered.

cheers

Nickm