Buying interstate- through online photos only.

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by aussie1, 21st Oct, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. aussie1

aussie1 Active Member

Hi all,

I have been looking to buy in Brisbane for sometime now and wondering how other interstate buyers went about buying their properties without actually touching down and seeing the property in person? We all know how frustrating it can be spending every weekend for 2+ months at inspections and auctions. I know this is a big financial decision but looking for some feedback on how others have gone just using online research/phone calls to purchase. Would you feel comfortable buying if the building inspection went okay and section 32/plans all checked out? We have 4 properties in Melbourne's West so looking to diversify interstate.

Cheers

2. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Usually, it is what is NOT shown in photos that makes a difference.

At a minimum, I would want someone I knew personally and trusted to have a good look at the property and it’s surroundings.

Sackie, ellejay, Angel and 1 other person like this.
  3. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

I've done it - wouldn't do it again.

My next purchase I flew in early morning, hired a car, saw as many properties as possible, flew back late. Worked out really well. Was much happier with this seen purchase.

I'll be doing this again shortly (flying up for a day).

icic, Archaon, Propertunity and 5 others like this.
  4. zyea

zyea Member

Cost of flights and car for the day are a drop in the bucket compared to a bad deal that costs you $1000s

mikey7, Archaon, Propertunity and 2 others like this.
  5. Rich2011

Rich2011 Well-Known Member

Get a reliable and trustworthy PM to go and look at it for you. The other option is to put it under contract subject to a building and pest inspection, $450 might be cheaper than one trip to Brisbane.

Skinman and ellejay like this.
  6. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

The wife and I made a long weekend out of it , done some other stuff and inspected about 6 properties .It was planned in advance with selling agents, and then back to W.A.
    I would never buy a property without actually inspecting it , or using somone else that I could trust.

Archaon likes this.
  7. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Do the ground work or get help from a trusted expert. Or yes spend the money blind but live with the various risks that entails. 3 options. Only 2 of those are good choices in my opinion.

8. Skinman

Skinman Well-Known Member

Agree with @My House QLD above 100%

Have done it quite a few times now and always worked out in the end. You will know you have a trustworthy PM when they tell you about 10 bad ones before they find a good one.

If you want the contact details for a very perticular building inspector in Brisbane let me know.