US Buying in the US

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by vtt, 10th Jan, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

I've been thinking a lot lately about purchasing a property in the US. I'm thinking about a nice property in a good area in SF or NY, for the first few years the property would be an investment but later a PPOR as hubby and I may soon have US Residency and may move there at some point in the future. In the meantime we are both Australian citizens and residents.

I've seen other posts on this where people have purchased in Atlanta, New Jersey etc but I'm not interested in holding multiple lower value properties. I'm interested in a good quality property that is well located in a nice area close to transport with proximity to the CBD.

The problem is... I have no clue where to start. Can anyone point me in the right direction? How can I find an agent to help us source the property and a bank that will lend us the money?

Thank you
    vtt

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Start with biggerpockets its a US property forum, join up, ask questions its a starting point. Huge forum and very interesting stuff on here, lots of information etc

Also do you have US $ for deposit, otherwise the exchange rate will be a killer at the moment.

Marisa:)

3. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I, too have the same question. I'm currently in Death Valley and later Las Vegas. The Bay Area (SF) seems like a nice place to live especially the Silicon Valley area. The prices have steadily increased since GFC and depending on the suburbs, you could get a small apartment in Palo Alto for a cool million dollars with no views. Mountain View is nice too. San Jose is coming up.

Go to zillow.com to check out house prices.