Europe Buying in the Uk Advice pretty please.

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Katie, 27th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Hello does anyone know if it’s possible to use the equity in my Australian home to buy a house in the Uk?

2. Icarus

Icarus Well-Known Member

No, well not when we tried to do it a couple of years back. Even the World Wide banks (we were/are with HSBC) don't (or didn't at that stage) recognise loans in other countries. The only way to purchase was to sell your Australian properties and use cash to purchase the property in the UK.
    As reasonable new arrivals in the UK, we could show that we had regular income coming in from our Australian investments, we couldn't show banking/loan/borrowing history in the UK, which turned out to be another stumbling block...
    Maybe things have changed over the past 5 years, but I'd imagine with borrowing tightening world wide, it'd still be quite difficult.

3. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

Best left for the finance Guru's, however in my experience with nz, no bank/institution can take security over foreign assets, nor would want to. Can you imagine trying to chase the money up if they wanted it back for what ever reason.

If you had enough equity maybe a different option would be borrowing against the AU property, so the split loan is unsecured and then you just use the cash where ever you like.

MissMel likes this.
  4. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

You can use the equity in your Aus properties (via equity release/cash out) to purchase a property overseas (ok with most lenders).

You cannot get a loan in Aus and have it secured against a property held outside of Aus.

ellejay likes this.