QLD Buying in Queensland

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by larrylarry, 9th Sep, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

I'm not fixated on Qld. I still have heaps to learn about Qld but I agree that the general consensus is the properties are moving faster than before.

2. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

I won't use 'newbie' but rather 'available finances' as a reason to start small. I've read a lot over the past few years, and know a lot of theory, strategies etc. I'm great at budgeting and saving, and am very good with my own $$$. But my income will only stretch so far, and the banks tend to not like the idea of just giving bucket loads of money away.......

Observer and Sackie like this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

If you can, try to increase your income, If its inline with your level of aggressiveness.

4. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

That's so funny, I almost wet myself.........

I'm aggressive, alright - a total ball buster. I have to be - I'm a high school teacher! ;) But we have to work under an award, and can't negotiate any individual pay increases. It's a long way from a great income, and it's not performance based. It doesn't matter how good I am, or how many hours I put in - it's a salary.

Plus, I already tutor 2 afternoons per week, just so I can shout myself a bottle of red at the end of the week.

The killer is the one-income-single-parent gig!

Bran, JDP1, larrylarry and 1 other person like this.
  5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

haha well said :) I have said in another thread i really respect parents with kids and single parents who STILL go after their dreams..its really humbling. well done again.

Just curious what subject you teach..? Hope its not maths...:p

Taku Ekanayake, Tranquilo and KayTea like this.
  6. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Afraid so………

EN710, Observer, JDP1 and 1 other person like this.
  7. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Main thing for me is no major negatives .

Floods , HV cables , street full of houses with strange looking people playing the banjo in the front yard ...

But as we buy in different areas , from Mosman to Logan its horses for courses .

We've done two developments on our PPOR's , two block Subdivisions in ku ring Gai , but because it was on our PPOR we had no specific holding costs . I think developments can be over rated and when we buy IP's is not something I look for . I think I can get better returns on blocks which aren't developable .

A development block is probably going to be more expensive to hold , so it means you may be able to hold less in terms or overall exposure.

My experience is you make more money when the market is going up strongly than with developments . In fact our last development kept us from buying in Geraldton at a time when we saw what was happening ... Katrina bought properties over their and when she sold paid cash for a house on Sydney's northern beaches ..

Cliff

Biz likes this.
  8. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I was a terrible maths student....i annoyed the maths teachers so much I'm sure they inwardly hated me lol....

KayTea likes this.
  9. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Teachers never hate their students, only their students' behaviour……….. honestly. Sure, there are some that make my day better when they stay home, but I'm really lucky to generally have really beautiful students. Sometimes, all they want is a non-parental adult to 'bounce' their ideas, frustrations, and fears, off.

Not too many have a passion for algebra, but I've now got a lot of them thinking about their own financial future, and I'm teaching them all sorts of cool stuff, like how to use a credit card to make money, and how the share market works. Most of them are just like little sponges - they love it. I've even got parents asking for help with finding good bank accounts…..

Redom, JacM, Taku Ekanayake and 5 others like this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Omg... you are seriously the coolest maths teacher!! Wish you were my maths teacher!

Observer, Gockie and KayTea like this.
  11. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

Financial literacy makes maths fun I reckon. Great job! I think I have quite a bit to think about buying in Queensland. I'd probably need a BA to do the leg work once I am familiar with Brisbane area.

12. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

True, but there needs to be sooooooo much more of it. The curriculum is flooded with a lot of stuff that would be useless to most people. For example, in the senior Maths A curriculum up here, students have to learn how to take a running fix, in case they ever need to determine the location of their vessel while out at sea.

Call me crazy, but I would have thought that learning how to budget well, and how to avoid those horrid '60 month interest free' furniture package nightmares would have been a much better use of their time…… :rolleyes:

dabbler, Observer, Tekoz and 3 others like this.
  13. quop

quop Well-Known Member

If you're counting newbies, I'm in (southside) Brisbane.

Not sure if many people factor/think about it, and it might be higher on the list for OOs than investors, but orientation has a significant impact on heating/cooling considerations (see eg. http://www.yourhome.gov.au/passive-design/orientation). For me one pet peeve is clotheslines located in a place that doesn't get much direct sun - a particular problem for townhouses/apartments where you don't get much of a choice where they (can) go.

JDP1, KayTea and larrylarry like this.
  14. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Agree with this, sometimes your paying a premium for deve blocks for no reason. I always wonder why people buy blocks with development potential and then say they will do something with it "one day" . Whats the point? If you cant do it straight away or at least in a few years dont do it at all I say. Profitable development blocks will always be there, come back to it when you are really ready to go.

Eric Wu, larrylarry and RetireRich101 like this.
  15. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

if you paid a premium for dev lot, yes. but if the dev lot is the same purchase price/yield as regular property today because the Agent unaware the development potential when selling, then I would not hesitate to go for that dev property. You will be pleasantly surprised in Brisbane due to most council recently adapted a new zoning, most Agent can not sell a dev potential property.

16. Biz

Biz Well-Known Member

Im finding the opposite RR. Anything zoned LMR they are getting wet over and askIng a premium even if it is an unappealing block you cant do much with.

17. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Clothesline placement OUT of the sun is my choice. This "problem" is not a problem for me and (I would guess) most people. I don't want to hang about in the Brisbane sun and neither do my clothes

KayTea likes this.
  18. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Me too, @wylie. I base my clothes washing times entirely on the placement of the sun - I hate being out in the heat, hanging up the wet clothes. In the summer months, I find that I can quite often hang out a few loads at 8:30pm, then pull them in at 6:00am the next day! Plus, I erected a fold out clothes line inside my garage just to avoid the sun!

19. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

Based on the terminology of the zoning you're referring, you're looking at BCC.
    BCC new zoning was an early adaptor, so most Agents became savvy at identifying the LMR..
    There are neighboring councils that recently got adapted or is draft stage of adaption. There you find some Agents didn't know what's coming...

20. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Different places , different concerns . In our last PPOR , north shore on the west side of the hwy , our clothes wouldn't dry outside during winter , so the electricity bill was high .

East side , in the sun and we can dry year round :D

Cliff