Buying in one name but borrowing in 2 names

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Harry30, 17th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

What happens if you want to buy an IP in one name as opposed to jointly (with wife), but you have a servicability issue. That is, you want to buy in one name to take advantage of the person with the highest marginal tax rate (negative gearing) and to take advantage of getting 2 land tax thresholds (ie. buy this property in my name, and next property in my wife’s name). But from a loan servicability perspective, it is best I borrow in both names. As all IPs bought to date have been in joint names, if I now borrow in my name only, bank takes 1/2 the rental (+ shading), but 100% of the loan obligation (as wife and I jointly liable) - Right? If this is case, I have servicability problem, so need loan to be in both names.

So, how do I fix this. Can I purchase in my own name, but borrow in joint names?

2. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Yes, as long as the other party is your mrs, mr or de facto partner.

Redwing, Terry_w and Harry30 like this.
  3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I have a tax tip on this too. Expenses and income to the legal owner generally.

Redwing likes this.
  4. Harry30

Yes, I think I read your tip Terry, which prompted me to indeed consider approach of IPs in one name. Getting 2 land thresholds very beneficial (I buy one, wife buys one). But can you borrow jointly if in 1 name. Appears the banks let you do that I am told.

5. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

for purchase pretty much not a problem

for refi some of them are getting too smart :)

they want the second person added so they get a benefit from the loan.

When we start talking about the family law act and financial separation etc they are uninterested.............

Sometimes there is real life and common sens and there is banks, and sometimes there is banks and no common sense ( eg Storm Financial fun)

ta

rolf

Harry30 likes this.
  6. Terry_w

I have only ever had one bank push back and that was for a main residence purchase and the lender was AMP. On the legal side i generally encourage people not to own jointly so I have many clients with one on title but 2 on the loan (only where necessary for servicing).

I haven't had any issues refinancing like Rolf says, even had one refinance to AMP and owner was non-working wife but both on the loan.

7. Harry30

Thanks Terry and Rolf,

If you borrow in a single name, to assess servicability, I assume lender takes 50% of rent for jointly owned property but 100% of the mortgages on jointly owned property? (I am talking about all existing mortgages here). I know on some credit card applications, they just take 50/50 on both, but thought mortgages are different. If they take 50% rent, but 100% borrowings, it pretty much rules out borrowing in 1 name.

8. Harry30

In other words, if you have substantial jointly owned property, very hard (impossible) in future to now borrow in own name.

9. Terry_w

There are a handful that will take your share of the joint debt based on ownership, but generally you are correct.

Harry30 likes this.
  10. Terry_w

That is generally the case for the immediate future.

Harry30 likes this.
  11. bookworm

bookworm Well-Known Member

Once the house is unencumbered, this would no longer be an issue? (Other than land tax threshold)

Also, could you not take advantage of spouse txf cgt exemption, or is the concern that the bank would need to refi?

12. Terry_w

What do you mean?

Changing titles means new loans are needed if the property is to be used as security

If unencumbered it doesn't mean there is not loan associated with the property. The owners could have borrowed against other property for it so interest would still be deductible, generally, in proportion to ownership.

There are also estate planning aspects to consider, especially on the death of the owner of one of the owners.