Buying in environment areas

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Katie, 23rd Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Hey all just wondering if anyone know looking at a place that backs onto bushland anything I need to look out for.

2. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

In a Environment area environmental offset receiving area overland flow path and riparian and wetland set backs stormwater catchments no idea what any of this means if anyone knows it would be a massive help cheers Katie.

3. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Snakes!
    Bushfire attack levels - BAL's - the higher the number the more expensive to build with fire resistant materials, ss flyscreens etc.
    Insurance premiums maybe higher - flood & bushfire.

4. Propertunity

How often and how deeply it floods and how far you have to build away from the affected areas.

5. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Hello thanks for the response it’s not huge bush land just a bit of bush with a tiny creek then houses behind that I know snakes would be a issue but do any of the things listed above make the house worth any less?

6. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

It’s not in a flood zone it says balanced area but I don’t understand what all the other things mean.

7. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Thanks thanks for the feedback propertunity here is a screen shot should have just posted this first.

Attached Files:

8. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Th

Attached Files:

9. Propertunity

@Katie you may need to speak directly with council (you don't mention which area it is in). The town planner or duty planner would be able to assist your understanding in the first instance.

10. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Hello yeah just got off the phone to them basically means you can’t get rid of trees in the backyard or vegetation to protect the environment around it no pool and can’t ever develop I don’t think but not really looking to anyway.

11. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

You can apply for a pool but might affect the habitat not sure how.

12. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

That's a property I would personally avoid. You won't be able to do anything much with the land. And it's got water problems. There's plenty of other properties to choose from. Choose wisely.

13. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

It varies with local councils, but check the location against the RFS mapping. If you're in a bushfire prone area, there are tighter (looser?) restrictions about what can be chopped down.
    iirc my local said that trees can't be chopped down unless they're within 10m of the house (I'm in an E4 zoning). But RFS says I can chop down anything within 3m.
    If I was to ask the council for permission, they'd say no under their rulings, but I can just chop it down anyway under the "10/50 Clearing Entitlement".

14. Anthony416

Anthony416 Well-Known Member

Your screenshot tends to show the mapping overlay but not to what extent they may apply to your particular property? Go onto the council website and look at the LEP maps for each potential constraint, that should give you a better idea. Also a call to the council duty planner may produce some useful results.

15. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

There *could* be issues with the valuation which may/may not be an issue depending on the lender/size of your deposit.

I've seen some valuations come back with high risk ratings for environmental factors such as being in a high risk bushfire/flooding area. Just something to be mindful of from a lending point of view I guess.

Cheers

Jamie

Propertunity and Katie like this.
  16. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Hello Hobart chick I agree with you it’s very cheap but if it’s going to be close to other houses all up not worth it I think where it is it’s worth if it I can pick it up cheap sonetimes cheap is not always better but.

hobartchic likes this.
  17. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Hello Anthony I have called up today don’t think a granny flat could ever go there but not really planning on one but I know it will affect future resale and not being able to chop down trees is annoying and no pool I don’t think she’s calling me back again soon.

18. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

I’d probably rather spend a bit more and not have all the headaches it needs a lot of work also inside the house.

19. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

Thanks Jamie yeah that might also be a issue never thought of that thanks :).

20. Katie

Katie Well-Known Member

If I can get it at a steal it might be worth it see how I go.