NSW Buying House with downhill slope in Castle Hills,Sydney

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by RedHat, 5th Mar, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

Hey fellas,

I'm planning to buy a house to live-in around Baulkham and Castle Hills.There are quite a few houses which slope away from road towards the driveway. I understand that it may not be ideal as rainwater may flow into the garage and could put strain on structure of the house. Also, some consider it as bad Feng Shui.

Unfortunately in Hills its difficult to get a house on flat block, most of them are either elevated requiring at least 10-15 steps to climb up or having a downhill slope. So what do you say? Should I avoid these and look for flatter blocks (which generally are more expensive) or in the grand scheme of things it doesn't really matter(15+ years). Personnaly it doesn't look very pleasing to eyes and also worried that missus could drive into the house one day.

TA

Attached Files:

2. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi @RedHat it really is a personal choice, as we don't know your preferences for other features, location or budget but at this price point for this house there are plenty of other houses in both these suburbs (more in Baulkham Hills) that should suit if you're after a standard 4x2x2 home in a quiet cul-de-sac, like this one.

We've bought for many many clients in these suburbs so know them intimately. This property's location is what makes it appealing long term, given that it's nicely halfway between 2 of the upcoming rail stations (Showground and Towers) and is easily walkable to either. This popular part of Castle Hill may be older but it's still desirable for those who want to be close to rail, schools, shops and other facilities here. If you are worried about slope, however, then I'd recommend getting a good building inspector out to check drainage, fall and general damp issues (if any) Many of these homes on this side of the street aren't too much below street level (at least not compared to other streets in the area) so it's not something that would be a major concern to buyers. Of course, much will depend on how big the backyard is and how much usable playing space there is, as this can be a major determinant on price.

There are plenty of other houses on the market in the $1.3m price bracket that are on flatter land- curious to know how long you've been looking for?

Gforce likes this.
  3. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Isn't it bad feng shui?

4. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

Homes on the high side or on flat land are preferred by many over the low side, they'll command higher selling prices and sell quicker too. Given a choice, flat or high side is best.

Personally though, I don't have a problem living in a low side of street house. I have views as there's a bit of a valley behind me and plenty of sunlight. If it's very low then it's an issue, it becomes very expensive if you ever want to rebuild on the site, and the street appeal is lost. It can also lack sunlight if the high side is where the sun comes from and its a problem if water has nowhere else to go.

On the flipside... If there was water views if you were to buy on a low side of street... I'd completely go for it. :)

Last edited: 6th Mar, 2018
    Jacque likes this.
  5. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

Hi Jacque,

In terms of budget, upper limit is $1.3m. Preference is 4x2x2 and closer to upcoming stations and within the catchment of Castle Hill (Primary+ High) schools.I was looking in Baulko earlier but now ruled it out as there are options in Castle hills for my budget.

For someone who never lived in a property with downhill slopes, it feels a bit odd but I'm sure, with time it will grow on us. You mentioned a good point that I should get the drains checked thoroughly by B&P guys.

I have been looking for a month now but not in a hurry. Market is bit cold now as even good properties are now sitting over 2 months and also evident from the calls I receive from agents who are willing to negotiate by 40-50K (property in above screenshot has been on market for over 4 months and has its price revised by 80K). I'll give it some more time and probably pull the trigger around Jun-July.

In terms of areas, although entire Castle Hills is very nice still the streets around showground felt more pleasant. Since you expertise in this area, what would be your recommendation?
    Here's another property with slope towards driveway. I guess you already know where its located ;)

Attached Files:

6. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

Yes thats what I heard that slopes into the house and into driveways are bad Feng Shui

Yeah even I'm more inclined towards houses on higher side, its just that in hills there lot of properties on lower side.I guess at the end of the day it comes to personal preference if drainage etc is not a problem. Not much concerend about resell as this will be OO and plan to stay atleast 20 years

7. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

LOL @RedHat I don't know this one specifically but it does look like Knightsbridge area (am I right?!) as many houses are in lower positions here. Lots of late 1980's/90's style homes with skillion roofs, interior brick wall features and groovy orange and dark brown colour schemes :D Just get a good building inspector if worried about slope etc

As for recommendations, it's really a personal choice - buying a PPOR is different from investing, and particularly if you want the long term security of a home for 20yrs+ Buy when you can afford, negotiate hard and be willing to compromise where necessary. Remember too that you are still buying well below the median for Castle Hill housing (currently up around the $1.6m mark) and there's not too much mortgage stress in this affluent area, so it's unlikely to experience large drops in value (but hey that's just my personal opinion so take it as you see fit) I'd be buying as close to the new station as possible (being aware of and checking for surrounding medium or high rise dvpt that may impact) below median price and for as much bang for buck as possible. If you're not in a hurry that's great but be aware that dramatic price movements are unlikely for good solid stock. Best of luck with it all :)

Gforce and RedHat like this.
  8. Gockie

And I agree with Jacque.

9. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

Not the Knightbridge estate but near by..
    You are spot on for the colour schemes. Have noticed lot of houses with orange colour schemes and with vinyl flooring.

Jacque likes this.
  10. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    That's why it's called the Hills :)

PS - I live in the Hills ( West Pennant Hills) . Sloping Block. No problems.

Gforce likes this.
  11. np999

np999 Well-Known Member

not familiar with the hills, but a sloping downhill block like the one shown above is a big no go zone for me (won't inspect).

but i do know a lot of people don't care too much about this.

12. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

Any experienced people here that's still keeping an eye on the local market in Castle Hill? A friend of mine bought a house 4/2/2 on ~800 squares that was listed >1.4, got over 200K in discounts and purchased at $1.2million.

Apparently, there's more stock on the market now compared to 6 months ago, with lesser buyers.

Never giveup likes this.
  13. Gockie

I wouldnt say discounts necessarily... but good on your friend, I don't know what they bought but very good that they didn't buy at the peak...

14. noviceInvestor1

noviceInvestor1 Well-Known Member

Hi Wukong, I am not experienced but do have an interest in Castle Hill, and have been looking at it recently

Just out of interest can I ask... looking at what the experts on this forum are saying (that there’s further falls to come in prices), wouldn’t it have been better for your friend to have waited till a bit later in the year before buying? Was he in some sort of hurry?