QLD Buying house near dumping ground?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jun8, 16th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jun8

Jun8 Member

Hi guys, as mentioned in the title, I’m looking at some houses near a dumping ground. It is the Logan Dumping Ground in Heritage Park aka Logan’s tip. Those properties are about 4km to 4.5km away from the dumping ground.

I did some researches and articles say that Logan dumping ground is one of the nicest ones, does not smell or have any issues with soil pollution or so on. However, I’m still not sure if the reality is different. I used to be around 2km close to a dumping ground (just for shopping) and did not smell or notice anything from that ground so I don’t know if living nearby would cause any issues. Do you guys have any ideas about this? Any advice would be much appreciated. Thanks

2. datto

datto Well-Known Member

From my experience, dumps only stink when given the right conditions. They might be fine 90% of the time but then one dae,whammo, you'll need a gas mask.

You may need to research this a bit further. If the price is right, buying near a dump may not be a waste.

Jun8 and Archaon like this.
  3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if I have ever found definitive research on the nicest waste depots in the country.

I know that if I am riding on the Pacific Highway upwind of the transfer station at Artarmon, I will get that faint acrid waft of decomosing food waste and bin juice hitting the olafactory nerve as I take a deep breath as I am gasping for air as I push myself to keep up with traffic.

This depot is probably not much to look at but is a functional, industrial building catering for a wide variety of vehicles and container movements.

Jun8 likes this.
  4. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on how much there is between this property and the tip - are there other suburbs between or is it scrub?

My question is why would you want to buy there? If it's cheap due to the tip, it will always remain cheap no matter what you do to the property. Capital growth "could" be impacted and I would as the local agents if it would affect rentability

There is a brand new (cheap) suburb in our area - around 2-3km from the tip - and, for some reason, the sky always seems dingier and the air just not right. A few people have picked this up and the quality of the suburb - even tho initially flashy - has quickly gone downhill

Jun8 likes this.
  5. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

Did you end up buying there?

6. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Nuclear waste does not smell..... :eek::eek::eek::eek:

The Y-man

Pingu1988 and Firefly99 like this.
  7. Nathan Prasad

Nathan Prasad Well-Known Member Business Member

Yeah grew up around there the dump wasn't why it smelt, it was due to a chicken farm. It's gotten better over the years but still smells later in the day.

8. boganfromlogan

boganfromlogan Well-Known Member

Logan dump is a thing of beauty! I spent my long weekend there!!

I think there is a difference between a traditional dump and a transfer station. The transfer stations are less of a problem (although there can be dust!). There are landfills to be wary of (slacks creek) so watch out if there has been industry / landfill / reclamation. But a fine operating modern dump! what could be nicer.

Only thing i noticed is the gatekeepers need to work on customer service skills. Even in a dump.

The Y-man likes this.
  9. skater

skater Well-Known Member

That's because the waste is in the dump.

craigc and datto like this.
  10. Sheshop

Sheshop Well-Known Member

I went to that particular dump on a school excursion last year and it’s very impressive. It’s a huge place with all different sections and a massive market open to the public. 4k’s is a fair way, I think it would be fine.

11. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No, dont do it

14. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

I just had a look at the map and it turns out my brother is about 3-4km from the waste management station. I never even knew it was there.