VIC Buying house in Indians preferred locality in Eastern Melbourne

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by indiantiger, 3rd Apr, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I'm not sure why someone would make such a downgrade in that instance to begin with but I digress. I don't want to further derail this thread

2. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Exactly what I'll be doing in a few months. I'll let someone else worry about a $1.5m+ mortgage.

TheSackedWiggle likes this.
  3. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

Here's the thing... its not a downgrade. Lifestyle even in tarneit is better than a good suburb in Mumbai. It really is the social pressure so no one can point fingers and question their decision to move countries and compare to them. When you move to first world you are taking a step ahead of your friends and family but they will always come back at you telling you are not really that good because you are living the low life there. OP is just trying to cover evething...

4. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

Not long to go before this thread gets locked.

Invest_noob likes this.
  5. indiantiger

indiantiger Well-Known Member

We were fortunate to live in a very posh suburb in India, as my parents bought it long back.

So it would be step back for me and moreso for my parents if we live in Tarneit or something similar

As I explained earlier, for Indians, the buying of property takes a very big precedence and they sacrifice holidays and a lot of other luxuries in life till they buy it
    So most Indians own a property I guess much earlier then their western counterparts

Thanks Mate

6. JamesP

JamesP Well-Known Member

Meh Glen Waverley is a dive. It was the dodgy place you used to watch football.

Amazing that people around the world consider it a prestige suburb.

housechopper2 and TheRayTracer like this.
  7. Westie

Westie Well-Known Member

It's the schools mate, most likely.

JamesP likes this.
  8. indiantiger

As a general rule , Any suburb which has a median higher then a Million and is on the Eastern train line, within 20 kms of CBD , most Indians would consider it prestigious

9. indiantiger

Top class Primary and secondary Public schools in the zone are big magnet for Indians

10. willfong

willfong Active Member

Glen Waverley is a very big suburb with 3 secondary schools and half a dozen of primary schools. Make sure you research them and the zones before you purchase. If school is a big factor, make sure you are in GWSZ.

11. indiantiger

I will be very careful in ensuring that the School falls in the GWPS zone

I am looking mainly for the primary school zone
    If I can get a property which is within the secondary school zone as well, heaven sent

Thanks Mate

12. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

it is a far better location than other places in melbourne. rather glen waverley than some woop woop places like cockatoo or beaconsfield upper.

13. indiantiger

Thanks for clarifying

Else it was back to the drawing board for me

14. Simone

Simone Member

Hi OP, I am afraid your understanding of so called “prestige” even amongst Indians is quite flawed. Being one from the pack, we do not judge each other solely on the post codes of their address. Please do not generalise and speak on behalf of all Indians - and that they consider Glen Waverly as the epitome of prestige. It is laughable to consider that all the bayside burbs are sub par to Glen W.

The uber rich of Indian ethnicity send their kids to private school as it adds to the bragging rights, own luxury vehicles, own multiple investment properties and holiday homes. Even the Indians living in poor suburbs as per your definition - Tarneit, Craigieburn , Point Cook are well established and living in Mc Mansions, sending kids to private schools and own multiple houses. These suburbs are beautiful in look and feel with parks and better amenities than any Indian posh locality.

In short, don’t judge a book by it’s cover and people by their addresses. Post code snobbery doesn’t win friends. Your opinions are your own so I can only suggest but please do not use “Indians” in your responses. You do not represent us. Thanks.

15. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Have you considered private schools? I have seen private schools and thier kids academic performance, gives all parents with status anxiety issues far more bragging satisfaction then where they live in.

Simone likes this.
  16. TheSackedWiggle

TheSackedWiggle Well-Known Member

Read and learn @indiantiger,
    broaden your horizon, open up your mind, try cuisines from different culture/region (it really helps).

There is a reason you are migrating, reliving the life with same mindset shouldn't be that reason.

Live NOW,
    Live the life like there is no tomorrow.
    Zindagi Na Milegi Dobaraa (one gets to live life only once)

Last edited: 16th Apr, 2018
  17. Simone

Simone Member

So true. Almost all of my Indian friends send their kids to Private schools and other activities like Kumon, private tutoring etc. Only a few leverage the Public schools despite easily being able to afford it (above 300k income brackets ) as they prefer to invest the money in building their portfolio. The rationale behind this practise is that a private schools at the Primary level is not life changing so it’s best to only use Private school for Secondary level education.

vip_leo and Ouchmyknees like this.
  18. Invest_noob

Invest_noob Well-Known Member

Don't know why people have this habit of generalising an entire country according to their own preferences. This really spreads stereotypical ideas of certain communities.

The other day I saw an Indian lady in a doco saying 'Elephants are an integral part of every Indians life'... like WHAT THE F....

Last edited: 16th Apr, 2018
    Simone likes this.
  19. UrbanDingo

UrbanDingo Active Member

wt Modi has to do with this................look like you are Pappu fan

20. Simone

Simone Member

I just don’t want him to generalise us and give other readers a chance to stereotype Indians.