Buying house in flood prone area?

Discussion in 'Real Estate' started by Crusher, 5th Mar, 2010.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Crusher

Crusher Well-Known Member

I've got my interests in a house thats in a flood prone area outside of newcastle.

Purchase price is 370, last sold for 330 in 2007.

Anyone had any dealings with homes in flood prone areas? Any idea on an insurance quote for flood insurance? Thanks.

2. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

Only one answer. Don't do it!

Johny.

3. Johny_come_lately

Johny_come_lately Well-Known Member

There is nothing more soul crushing than to have your pride and joy turn into a swimming pool. Water gets into every nook and cranny. The carpets are your least worry. Corrosion and mould lingers, along with wood rot. Then there's the battle with the insurance company. Was it 'runoff' or a 'flood'. Try re-insuring and you will find that your $700 cover is no more.

Do yourself a favor and buy a house on a hill.

Johny.

4. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Hi Crusher

It really depends on how often it floods. For example, I own a home in a 1 in 100 yrs flood zone in NSW but it doesn't worry me, as the last flood was back in the 1960's. Do some further research- talk to council about flood dates, areas affected etc before committing yourself.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia