Buying house from parents

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by laziale, 31st Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. laziale

laziale New Member

Due to circumstances involving moving overseas, my parents are required to dispose of their paid off PPOR. We originally planned to simply transfer the title to my name but I am now thinking of purchasing the property off my parents. I am already living in this property. We intend to:

- Take an Interest-Only loan with offset account to purchase the property off my parents.
    - My parents will gift me the money received from the sale of the property to put back into the offset account (effectively paying no interest). I will NOT be paying any interest on this money to my parents.
    - I intend to buy another PPOR about 1 year after this purchase, taking out another IO + Offset loan.
    - Transfer the money from offset in home #1 into home #2. Home #1 becomes a negative-geared IP. Home #2 is now PPOR.

Would putting the money received from the sale back into the offset account (pretty much straight away) of home#1 cause any issues?

Would having an existing loan, paying no interest due to being fully offset, affect my chances of obtaining a second loan for my new PPOR after a year?

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Not that I can envisage.
    Yes, you'd need to count the full amount of the loan as a liability, so that will affect your borrowing capacity.

3. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

If they are giving it to you, there wont be a loan to be offset?

You will need to pay stamp duty on the actual value regardless whether it is a gift or you take a loan to purchase the property.

4. laziale

laziale New Member

Say loan balance is $350k and I have $350k cash sitting in the offset account for 1 year before buying a second property to become a new PPOR. I would also have enough cash left over to pay about 15% on the new PPOR (85% LVR). Would this strongly impact my borrowing capacity for the new property?

I will purchase the property off them, with a home loan, so it won't be a simple gift.

I understand the stamp duty implications - no issues there.

5. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I think OP wants there to be a loan for tax deductions when he finds his new PPOR and turns this one into an IP.

6. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Capacity is impacted by your income and expenses. Having a loan of $350k is a hefty expense (regardless whether it is offset or not).
    However you might have some potential rental income to balance out the expense when you go to purchase a 2nd property.