NSW Buying from owner without third party real estate agent

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by NewbieHere, 20th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. NewbieHere

NewbieHere Member

I recently inspected one property that was advertised on realestate.com. While attending the inspection I realised that the owner of property himself had put the advertisement for sell.

Has anyone purchased property from such individuals who register themselves as real estate agents ? Are there any risks associated with such purchases or what are the thing to be carful about ?

2. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

They either must be an actual agent, or they're using the services of a DIY agency. Private sellers cannot advertise on realestate.com.au

NewbieHere likes this.
  3. NewbieHere

NewbieHere Member

Yes, seems they are using the services of a DIY agency (Buy My place).

Are there any risks associated with such purchases or what are the thing to be carful about ?

4. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

Nope, no more/less risks at all.
    Once the terms have been agreed an agent will just send both solicitors the details.. (Sales Advice) and then the solicitors will do the rest. The only difference in your case will be the deposit sits in their solicitors trust account instead of the agents trust accout...Simples

Poppy and Phar Lap like this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Friend sold their house privately. Paid a third party to list on realestate.com.au. Had their solicitor draw up the contract and the deposit was paid into the solicitor's trust account.
    Marg

Poppy and willair like this.
  6. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

It's just a way to avoid paying agents fees and commissions. It's legitimate.

7. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

All you would be doing is cutting out the several people in between the title holder and the new title holder ..

I have done this before when I was buying blocks of land in a small country town 70 klms from Brisbane ,then putting a removal house on the block ..

Most of those deals after the solicitors we use said go ahead,were done at the front bar of the local hotel over a cold beer ..Never ever had a problem ,if the contract one would use covers all the shadows that sometimes surface after the ink is dry..imho..

8. NewbieHere

NewbieHere Member

thanks all for your response. It surly helped !!

9. Annette Shepherdson

Annette Shepherdson New Member

The only issue we have when buying properties that are for sale by owner is that the owners tend to have higher price expectations - about 5% higher than market value. If your research shows that the price is market or below, then go for it!

Terry_w likes this.
  10. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

One of my friends recently sold his house using Buy My Place. It was a $1m+ house, so he said he saved a lot of money doing it that way. Doesn't seem to have struck any problems.

11. LifesGood

LifesGood Well-Known Member

How does he know that a top agent wouldn't have negotiated a higher price for his home?

Terry_w likes this.
  12. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Very true. I've been watching a house in my area that's listed for sale thru Buy My House, and I reckon it's about $350k overpriced. No wonder it's been on the market for about 8 months now, whilst everything else is sold within a couple of weeks.

13. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

It can go the other way too. A busy agent may not have incentive to get the seller an extra couple of thousand.

14. Zeehan

Zeehan Well-Known Member

Mmmm. I guess he'll never know now. He's a pretty shrewd guy, so I imagine he would have negotiated well.

15. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

Not too much to worry about. From a lending front some lenders have specific valuation requirements where if the property isn't sold through a third party real estate agent they will require in all circumstances a full valuation with the valuer inspecting the property - whereas if it were sold via an agent they would have just used a computer estimate/taken the sold price at face value.

Not a huge deal - but it can mean you can be tripped up if its an owner selling their own property and you were wanting to avoid a full valuation due to the property being distressed/significantly damaged. (ie you were buying to renovate to add value)

16. AP121

AP121 Well-Known Member

One of my relatives property the property privately through Buy My Place and everything went smoothly without any hassles

Poppy likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia