Buying first PPOR, Broker? or go direct to 3 x banks?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Raphael, 25th Sep, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Raphael

Raphael Member

Hi all,

About to plunge into our first PPOR. Just wondering what the best method is in obtaining finance and the best rate/deal? Based in Newcastle and thinking about approaching Newcastle Permanent and Greater Bank individually for a quote, then also thinking about maybe seeing a broker for a third quote? I bank with CBA, and have done so for 19 years since I was 14, but not sure they will be competitive?

Lastly, bonus question, as a joint applicant, are we better off having a $65,000 deposit on a $600k property with a $15,000 debt, or are we better to pay off the debt (so carrying $0 debt) but have a lower $50,000 deposit for a $600k property?

Cheers for any help.

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

See a broker - depending on your scenario visiting 3 lenders could cause an auto decline especially at high LVRs.

The answer to your second question will also depend on your bigger picture - there's no one set answer to this BUT the additional lmi you'll pay on the home loan will most likely mean keeping the debt as is will be the better option.

Also, you'll be paying LMI so you'll want to be sure that the lender you choose will allow you to reuse it access equity down the track if you're hoping to invest - there's a lot more to consider than just rate and price. A cheap rate can end up very expensive if the lender is not a good long term fit.

Last edited: 25th Sep, 2017
    Raphael likes this.
  3. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

if you are after primarily rates /fees/charges , dont worry about a broker or a bank, you may be best served to Go with someone like Loans.com.au, or some other online only lender.

Typically, such questions come from only having loose idea of what one REALLY needs from their largest purchase.

Obtaining the right finance structure can be more complicated than buying a fridge .......

ta
    rolf

4. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

My bet it that you end up with CBA whether you go to CBA direct or broker.

Colin Rice likes this.
  5. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Run through the numbers on what's best to payout the existing debt.
    Having larger deposit will mean lower LMI cost
    Just work out if it's better to pay more LMI to payoff the debt which will likely have higher interest cost.

Raphael likes this.
  6. Raphael

Raphael Member

The debt currently has 0% interest and isn't due until June 2018. Given our jobs and cash flow, the debt would easily be paid off by June 2018 even with a mortgage as outlined above (as repayments are about the same as our rent currently and we're still saving a s**tload!)

Brady and Jess Peletier like this.
  7. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Don't pay it off with your deposit then. Just make sure you can still save a s**tload once you have mortgage payments, rates, insurance and so on - assuming they'll be higher than you currently pay in rent.

8. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

What makes you say that Brady?
    If the shoe fits I'd back in a few others before CBA at that LVR.

9. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Agreed - looks like it's going to be a 90% + lend when LMI is capitalised.

Ideally you'd want to use a lender with an LMI DUA.

Not sure how Newcastle and the Greater treat higher LVR deals - but CBA is generally my go to for these sort of deals.

Perhaps look into BWA too.

Cheers

Jamie

10. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

- They have banked CBA 19 years, likely very comfortable with systems/netbanking
    - CBA is currently very competitive for new business
    - LMI is priced well with CBA
    - CBA has DUA
    - Approval would like be the easiest path for approval with CBA given history
    - It's there 1st PPOR, existing banks are perfect for these types of clients.

Colin Rice and Rolf Latham like this.
  11. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

I agree, but 1 in 10 clients like this I put to cba come back declined, an old credit card overdue, or some sort of existing product conduct.

Being an existing customer helps marginally at best. it does expose you to greater risk, banks memories are long...

12. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

1 out of 10 of your clients has conduct issues? Is that normal for you? Are you able to get them accepted with mitigation?

Being existing customer helps a lot with scoring - as per the OP there is LMI involved, pending if they have taken into account purchase costs looks like between 89-92% + LMI deal.

13. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

1 in 10 of existing cba clients who wanted to stay. I probably had a client profile that didn't score well, high lvr, construction, fhog or 'slod' as funds to complete.

I disagree that being an existing customer helps much with scoring. We will have to leave it there as neither of us are privy to how scoring actually works, we only get the bs the marketing people try and feed us.

14. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Im not a broker. I would strong recommmend a good property savvy broker over and tied lender. Its like the difference between a real estate agent selling a property vs a buyers agent

15. RedHat

RedHat Well-Known Member

Having worked in Veda IT for their flagship Veda score Apply/Veda check product I can confirm that being an existing customer does not has any impact on scoring.The scoring algorithm works on data points like how long you lived in current address, number and kind of of credit enquiries (A home loan enquiry is a heavy hit as compared to lets say a new phone contract or a credit card), defaults, age of credit file etc.

Although having a long relationship with bank can help swing the borderline cases in your favour.

16. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I'm confident that it does impact scoring. And it's not from marketing people.
    I've been told that it definitely does, they wouldn't disclose 3, 6 or 12 months as that's to much info - but confirmed being an existing customer does impact the scoring.

Not talking about veda scoring, referring to internal category scoring that CBA completes.

17. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Good feedback

While veda et al have their own scoring engines, our experience says that for those lenders that run in house systems, existing good performance does certainly help a bunch

Conversely clients can have a huge veda score and still flunk with the lender...........

ta

rolf

Brady likes this.
  18. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

I would to.

But in the OP case with a few more details I would suggest a good property savvy CBA banker would far excel over the good property savy broker

19. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If you can keep the total LVR to 90% or less and overall it's a fairly straight forward application, there are a lot better options out there than any of the major lenders.

20. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I thought Westpac were looking after me after 25+ years until we shopped around using a broker. Banks have next to zero loyalty to long term customers.

That said they recently credited us a debit card purchase for weekly shopping as a thank you for years of loyalty. I didnt want to offend them when they did it three times in the week (three different accounts) ....I suspect they are still well ahead.

Archaon and Corey Batt like this.