Buying Deceased Estate - Pros, Cons and Gotchas

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by Shawn Donaldson, 17th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Shawn Donaldson

Shawn Donaldson Active Member

Hi Guys,
    I'm new to investing and to this forum. I had a bit of a search but surprisingly couldn't find the topic I was looking for...
    Anyway, among other strategies I am looking at off-market. In some of the things I've been reading it talks about deceased estates being a good strategy and I hadn't really given it much though, opting for a simpler solution to start with. However, today while I was getting a list of owners for potential deals, I came across deceased estates, it got me thinking;
    1. What are the pros and cons in purchasing deceased estates for investment?
    2. What are the gotchas and dangers to be aware of?
    3. How would you recommend best approaching the executors of the estate? For other properties, I'm sending a friendly personal-styled letter. Should I vary this approach?
    4. Have any of you used this strategy and how did it pan out for you? Would you use it again?
    Any help would be greatly appreciated!!
    Shawn.

2. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

The gotchas are definitely the ghosts of people who passed away in the house. Up all night and can't ever get them to leave or pay rent.

Kapot, Redom, adam duckworth and 9 others like this.
  3. mikey7

mikey7 Well-Known Member

Did the person die in the house? Theres another thread somewhere that suggests a lot of people wouldn't buy, rent or live in a house someone has died in (knowingly).

highlighter likes this.
  4. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Pros:
    - price
    - potential for renovation
    - potential for development

Cons:
    - competition with other buyers who have the same idea as you do

Illegal mods done by the owner is the only danger I have come across.

I have bought 2. One at auction, one listed on the open market. I don't know if you can do off-market deceased estate.
    I have bought 2. Worked out well. I would do it again. As mentioned above, that is on the open market.

5. Perthguy

One place I bought in Melbourne the agent disclosed the previous owner had died in the house. None of the property managers I subsequently hired disclosed that to any prospective tenants.

6. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Assuming you've seen the original 1982 Poltergeist, assuming it's not built on cemetery, it should be OK...

Shawn Donaldson likes this.
  7. mcarthur

mcarthur Well-Known Member

Mine became a deceased estate just before settlement - held up settlement for a few more weeks but that was all technically.

8. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

1. Pros - Could be cheaper in price but if on the open market makes it hard to be cheap. Cons it has a stigma associated.

2. Normal DD - I guess also make sure there is no odor left around or worse the body if they died there.

3. Approaching the executors is to me a bit slimy (or seem to) and you might put them off as they are going through the grieving process. I would be just waiting for it to hit the open market.

4. No but have considered purchasing one previously but we never got to contract.

9. Shawn Donaldson

Shawn Donaldson Active Member

Thank you everyone, I really appreciate the feedback.

10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

There is a local house where a woman was found murdered. It was painted, and cleaned up and rented. No mention of the murder in the rental advert.

I'm guessing the neighbours told the tenants, because six months later, it is up for rent again. Maybe it had nothing to do with having been the scene of a very recent murder? But maybe that is why it is now up for rent again.

11. Perthguy

This got me thinking... deceased estate doesn't indicate the previous owner died in the property. I was thinking of the Melbourne property I bought where the owner died in the property. The only item left was a red armchair that the previous owner supposedly died in. That old red chair haunted the house for about 4 years.

The place I bought in Perth was a deceased estate but the previous owner did not die in the house.

12. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I'm too superstitious to knowingly buy one. My loss I guess

13. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

You wont get them any cheaper in a warm or sellers market, in fact the beneficiaries may bicker and hold things up, or have higher expectations.

Normal market forces will determine things, if it is a buyers market though, you could do well if the only interested party and the decision makers are not emotional over the property.

I have been trying to get a place that is/was a deceased estate, but the person is emotionally attached to the place still, place passed in at auction long before I looked at it, has not taken any offers seriously IMO, at some point they will let go, so yeah, you can waste your time as well.

wylie likes this.
  14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

One gotcha to watch out for ... is it actually a deceased estate yet?

About 15 years ago I put an offer in on a massive old house in Kingswood, SA on a double block of land that was obviously lived in by an elderly man who was unable to maintain it properly and so it had fallen into disrepair.

The property was marketed as a deceased estate.

I thought I was in with a chance of securing this place until the agent sheepishly contacted me and explained that the house had been taken off the market because the owner was coming home from the hospital.

Turns out his kids had assumed he was going to die (probably informed by the doctors that they don't expect him to survive his illness given his age and frailty), and so had pre-emptively put his house on the market.

Oops.

Disappointing too since I think it was mid $200's at the time and current values (based on renovated property as it currently stands) are approaching $1m.

legallyblonde and Marg4000 like this.
  15. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

When the old boy found out about that, I assume his kids are going to learn a harsh lesson about presumption when they find out about both his new big reverse mortgage and his exciting times at the TAB...

legallyblonde likes this.
  16. noogie60

noogie60 Well-Known Member

The main issues I think would be repairs and renovations needed.
    The owners in the last years of their life may have been physically and/or mentally frail and the house went into disrepair.
    Also the place may be a time capsule - it may be just how they liked it straight out of the 50s and 60s (shag pile carpets baby:rolleyes:) but that's no state to put it on the rental market

17. Liarliar

Liarliar Well-Known Member

I had a friend back in the 90's buy a deceased estate, the house had been there years and was in the front of a Cemetary up at Sandgate in Newcastle NSW .

You could be washing the dishes in the back kitchen and could see the graves of the people through the window as he only had a small wire fence up as his back fence.
    It was so close i could even read the names of the deceased as i stared out the back kitchen window.

18. pjames

pjames Well-Known Member

by the sounds of it I'm sure his kids were disappointed as well that he did not go six feet down so they could make money from his property.

I would buy deceased estate as long as there was no crime like a murder in the place. I think it is law that agents have to disclose that anyway on a sale.

19. noogie60

noogie60 Well-Known Member

This scene from the Simpsons comes to mind - 1:57

20. BuyersAgent

BuyersAgent Well-Known Member Business Member

Common strategy for me as lots of the sales agents I know dislike marketing them, plus sibling children are often arguing and just want their money. So they call me for a quick outcome off market...most times the original owner has been in nursing home for last 6 months and house has been empty or lived in by other family most recently. They often present badly, need cosmetic work and represent sound investments as are often solid homes in quiet streets but are not necessarily bargains, just fair deals once the rectification work is factored in. There are also websites that list them directly if you have a look around.

Shawn Donaldson and Archaon like this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia