Buying corner block on a roundabout - any problems?

Discussion in 'What to buy' started by MickeyD, 24th Feb, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MickeyD

MickeyD New Member

Hello, newbie here and hoping for some advice on the suitability of purchasing this block.

Plan is to subdivide and develop 2 townhouses.

Only problem I see is it's at a roundabout (not a busy one).

[​IMG]

Do you foresee any other issues I might have? Would potential buyers have any problems? Bad Feng shui? Anything at all?

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

Your state design codes will probably have some rules about how close driveways can be to a corner (any corner not just roundabouts). Having a roundabout may make that further difficult and they may impose conditions that there is a reversing bay so that vehicles exit onto the road in first gear (ie fowards)

Is there street trees, street signs, power poles that will also dictate where and where not the 2 driveways could be?

Generally corner blocks are great as everyone gets street frontage but they do need careful consideration for the above points

As to roundabouts specifically they are sadly famous for people not seeing them and ending up in the front garden of the house. It's rare but it does happen so future buyers may be wary of that.

MickeyD likes this.
  3. MickeyD

MickeyD New Member

Thanks muchly Westminster

4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

I would not want to live there - difficulties getting in and out with other vehicles everywhere and crashing into me.

MickeyD and Shogun like this.
  5. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

Aside from the issues that Westminster has pointed out, you have to think about the desirability of the townhouses. Are you planning on holding them and renting them out or selling?

- Andrew

6. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Unless it was a highly desirable suburb/location. Buying or renting a property on a round about would be a big negative feature to me. Round about are built to improve traffic flow on roads with a reasonably high traffic flow. Roads with low traffic flow don't need a roundabout.

MickeyD likes this.
  7. MickeyD

MickeyD New Member

Selling immediately after building.

8. MickeyD

MickeyD New Member

This is Templestowe Lower

9. Paula Ospina

Paula Ospina Active Member

As mentioned above, this may just reduce the value of the property over the long term compared to similar properties not on a roundabout - as people would be less inclined to bid up the prices for a house next to a round about when they could get something else without that issue.

Also from a tenant and rental point of view - may be harder to attract tenants as some people would be put off by the accessibility of being on a roundabout (even if its not that busy some people may just perceive it to be initially.)

MickeyD likes this.