Buying around Christmas time

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by meme plecko, 19th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. meme plecko

meme plecko Well-Known Member

And I mean property buying, not your regular Xmas shopping...

I will be ready to buy in early/mid December. Brisbane.

Just because everything goes quiet around that time and everybody is on holidays, would that mean that there could be potential bargains to be had if sellers are keen to sell? Or is it better to wait until everybody comes back in January. Is it difficult to find solicitors/BP inspectors working around Christmas time?

larrylarry likes this.
  2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

In December you can have some very motivated sellers who just want to tie up a sale before Christmas - so they can make plans for the New Year ahead.

The flip side of this, is there is generally less stock to pick from as sellers hold off listing until late Jan / early Feb when the markets return to more normal activity levels.

3. Chilliblue

Chilliblue Well-Known Member

Did it last year no problems but you need to ensure that your solicitor, building and pest inspectors and the like are not on leave and can attend.

4. Chrispy

Chrispy Well-Known Member

I sold a house in the first week of December one year, it was the best sale I ever had. So little stock that I had people bidding over each other.

5. C-mac

C-mac Well-Known Member

I also did well in selling in December. Ive never bought in December. But if you exchanges contracts on say the 15th or so, and had a 30-day settlement, that'd back you out to a mid January sesettleme. Solicitors and the like are usually back by then.

6. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

About 10 years ago we Sold a house in Xmas eve with a fantastic price. Our intention was to auction it in Feb, but REA suggested to have a couple open houses in mid December. There were not a lot of stock but a lot of desperate people, who wanted to secure and move to the place before school year starts.

7. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Christmas is a funny time - it can be quite unpredictable. On the one hand you could have very motivated sellers - on the other hand, you could have very motivated buyers who want to "buy something" before Christmas.

As others have mentioned - not many solicitors are open during the break so don't expect a lot to be done until early/mid January if an offer is accepted close to Christmas Day.

Cheers

Jamie

8. Johann_

Johann_ Well-Known Member

Hello,

Prior to mortgage brokering, I was working in real estate for many years. Christmas time was interesting, I generally had less people at opens but I must admit the people who where looking at houses where the serious buyers anyway.

pugstar205 likes this.
  9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

I would also get your finance organised prior to buying - many banks are on skeleton staff over the Chrissy period so any issues could blow your times right out.

10. Nathan Simon

Nathan Simon Well-Known Member

Hi Nathan here, I'm a residential sales consultant on the Gold Coast.
    I must say I believe that this time of the year and leading up to Christmas time is the busiest time of the year!
    Yes unfortunately stock can sometimes get hard to find due to the fact that people like to hold off. However this does not make houses cheaper. If we go off the law of supply and demand,
    There is a larger demand for stock not only in Christmas, but in the current market, all year round. Which drives prices up due to the limited stock readily available.

11. pugstar205

pugstar205 Well-Known Member

So Nathan, as a real estate agent, you're saying that Christmas is a great time to buy, a great time to sell and to make sure you make your best offer because there's no Christmas Sales with houses?
    ;)

RyanB likes this.
  12. Nathan Simon

Basically hahaha
    At the end of the day Christmas is more a buyers market then sellers.
    In saying that, what do sellers usually do with there money? They buy. Generally spending more money!

Always put your best off forward

13. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I don't quite get it @Nathan Simon - Ray White ...if xmas is a buyers market, wouldn't a buyer not want to put the strongest offer upfront?

14. Nathan Simon

Not necessarily. There is currently massive competition out there with many people getting in early on the rising market. Buyers have leniency to spend more money and not have to worry about losing out.
    Always check with your agent if there have been other offers. The good agents will be honest and tell you upfront. From then you decide whether a it's best foot forward or time to negotiate!

15. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

Christmas is indeed an interesting time. People just want to be able to sit at that Christmas table with their family and be able to say they have achieved something. Whether it be that they just sold their property, or have succeeded in making positive steps towards some kind of financial solidarity throughout the year. People naturally want to be able to tell their families that the year has been a success.