NSW Buying apartment, concern with the quality, with pics

Discussion in 'Property Analysis' started by MagicWarren, 20th Aug, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MagicWarren

MagicWarren Member

Hi,

There are 3 apartments in a complex for sales. I chose one of them, paid 0.25% deposit. I called the other real estate agent to say that I chose X over yours, please tell the vendor I am not buying hers now. Then the vendor gave a big discount and looks hurry to sell. This made me feel this building suspicious.

Please have a look at the pictures taken at the lowest level of the basement. How serious is it, and how sure is it? Water leaking at the basement.

Attached Files:

[d4rk-fr3d] likes this.
  2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

You really want a building inspection and review the body corp minutes. Why did you sign and pay the 0.25 anyway?

Shazi and The Y-man like this.
  3. Hetty

Hetty Well-Known Member

Doesn’t look ideal. Read the strata report before the contract goes unconditional.

[d4rk-fr3d] and Shazi like this.
  4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Who is paying for the remediation work in progress? Is this property still under warranty? Is there a special levy looming? How healthy is the sinking fund?

Shazi, Perp and Sackie like this.
  5. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Um, is this a new building, ie. a high rise?

Just in case you didnt catch 4 Corners last night... Cracking Up

Shazi likes this.
  6. Rhiannan12

Rhiannan12 Member

Do you have a conveyancer to do all of the searches for you?

Shazi likes this.
  7. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

Where is it located?

8. MagicWarren

MagicWarren Member

Hi, thanks for everyone.

Ashfield, the complex is 2 years old, 36 lots. Yes, I have a conveyancer. If this is obviously too bad, I would not bother to pay for the strata report, as my conveyancer says it is $240. If it is not obviously serious, I will pay for the strata report. Also there are 5 sales from 36 owners, this makes me feel not encouraged to pay for the strata report now. The 0.25% deposit will be refund as I did not sign the contract.

The lowest basement has water leaking problem. The strata vacate it and is repairing. That is the information I get without a strata report.

9. Trainee

Why did you pay the 0.25% if you didnt sign the contract?

Shazi likes this.
  10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

As per @Trainee above - I am not sure why you paid "deposit" ~ once you pay, it is often difficult/slow to get back.

The Y-man

Shazi likes this.
  11. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

It is impossible to tell anything from those photos about what is happening in that basement. Clearly all is not well.
    You don't need to pay $240 for a strata report. You can make an appointment with the strata manager and go and sit in their office and read all the strata minutes. If anybody makes it difficult to do this, you will know why.

[d4rk-fr3d] and Shazi like this.
  12. Scott No Mates

If $240 is too much to outlay for information about a $600k+ investment, you need to review your priorities.

This is part of your due diligence. If a flooded basement isn't enough to scare you off not knowing who's paying for it then you're a braver person than I.

13. Cimbom

Cimbom Well-Known Member

I personally wouldn’t buy a new apartment in that suburb regardless of build quality. There’s no CG upside likely any time soon and plenty of supply in that general area

Shazi likes this.
  14. MagicWarren

MagicWarren Member

I did not say I am not willing to pay that fee. It is just that it is so scary that I may not buy this property without needing to read strata report now.

15. MagicWarren

MagicWarren Member

Thank you. Anyone can ask to read the strata report with an appointment?

16. MagicWarren

MagicWarren Member

It is a 675k property with 640/w rental, 10 mins walk to the station, 115 sqm, good internal condition, in Ashfield. And in the inspection day, others are interested too. I checked with the conveyancer and the vendor's agent that 0.25% is refundable without condition, and paid it to lock in this property.

I told the agent who is selling another property in the same building, as a courtesy, that I am not going to buy his. Then he offered 670k and hinted me to bargain for 650k. I realize at that time it is not right.

Discussed with friends in the real estate industry, and discouraged to buy it. I will double-check the basement with a builder tomorrow.

17. Scott No Mates

Will you know what you are looking for in the minutes?

People pay for plenty of building inspections prior to going to an auction where they may be successful too - it doesn't stop them from undertaking their due diligence to establish whether or not to proceed.

Shazi likes this.
  18. Trainee

Never heard of this in nsw. If its refundable unconditionally, whats the point and what is the vendor getting out of it?

Shazi likes this.
  19. MagicWarren

MagicWarren Member

Yes, I would love to pay the building inspector to do the due diligence. And I asked for the recommendation of an inspector. Just the people in the industry told me that a several-hundred-dollar inspection will not discover real structure defect.

As for the water leaking or cracking on the wall, a builder is sufficient to discover.

[d4rk-fr3d] likes this.
  20. MagicWarren

MagicWarren Member

BTW, the 650k - 670k offer is for a 103 sqm apartment in that building. A maximum 27k price gap for 12 sqm could make sense.

I felt suspicious because of the attitude, not because of the price.