buying an IP

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Bean27, 23rd Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Bean27

Bean27 Well-Known Member

I don’t have enough equity or savings in my home to buy an investment property but when I do I want to have the right strategy. Would the right loan structure be an interest only loan? That way you are likely to have positive cash flow once rented and then you can claim the interest you pay as a tax deduction. Am I also right in saying that when I have enough equity/savings etc I should always be trying to keep my LVR below 80 % when I buy a second property? Also know to not cross collateral the 2 property’s as that could end badly

2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

You still dont have the big picture.

Keep lvr below 80 as you save on lmi, but if its a hot market and you wait you might miss out. When starting out high lvrs are common as its hard to save for a deposit. Difference between 10 and 20 deposit might be a few years.

What are the risks of cross col? Dont do it if you dont have to. But if the deal is strong and thats the only way to get the money....

Whats a right structure? Io with offset is flexible but if you cant save it wont be good for you. If your uncomfortable with debt maybe pi is better.

Understand the tools, then understand your circumstances. Thats where YOUR best structure is.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  3. Bean27

Bean27 Well-Known Member

That's why i'm here to get "the big picture" as you put it. Why interest only with offset, Is that so you essentially pay very little? But then if you already have an offset linked to your own home do you just open a second offset? As I understand it the interest on the investment property is tax deductible so why reduce it?

4. Trainee

If you want to just deduct more interest, why borrow at the lowest rate? Getting a deduction is good. Not having to pay it is even better.

5. Bean27

Bean27 Well-Known Member

Yeah ok fair enough, so what about the possibility of having 2 offset accounts? what's your opinion on that?

6. Trainee

To achieve what? What can you do with 2 offsets?

7. Bean27

Bean27 Well-Known Member

that is my point why have 2, you said above interest only with off set is flexible. If you already have an off set set up on your PPOR then what are the options

8. Trainee

Sometimes doing nothing is also an option. This is where your lack of knowledge shows. No one mentioned 2 offsets.

9. Bean27

Bean27 Well-Known Member

I am here to educate my self not get continually told things like "This is where your lack of knowledge shows" I want to learn the best loan structures. If my PPOR is principle plus interest with an off set then whats the best way to structure my investment property loan.

10. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Positive cashflow in my world means:
    CF = (rent) - (PM fees) - (interest costs) - (rates, depreciation, repairs, maintenance, other costs)

If the CF is positive, you pay tax .
    If the CF is negative, you can subtract the amount you lost from other income like your wages (that's what we call the "tax deduction").

That's why putting positive cashflow and tax deduction in the one sentence doesn't make sense.

The Y-man

Bean27 likes this.
  11. The Y-man

Depends on a whole lot of things like how much your household income is, your future plans (kids etc), etc etc. Remember IO effectively delays paying off the loan, so can be painful later. You need to sit down with a good broker and discuss.

The Y-man

Lindsay_W likes this.
  12. Bean27

Bean27 Well-Known Member

As I said at the start I am not in the position yet to do so but I would like to understand my options, because in my experience the broker I choose did not put my best interest first. I want to be as educated as I can so I can tell the broker what I want. Take no chances.

13. The Y-man

Again depends.

As an example in our early days, we tried to get max LVR possible (95% ~ hard to do these days) IO to make the cash flow as bad as possible to lower our tax..... (max tax deduction). It is a strategy, but it will not work for everyone. Back then as a young couple on relatively high income, it made sense to us .... well sort of ..... we got our taxes down from a nominal 30% to 16% (oh yeah!! :cool:) but then we were so "negatively geared" that we had about $20k a year to live on.... :oops:

The Y-man

14. The Y-man

So maybe the priority is to find a broker who puts your interest first, or at least equal to theirs. :)

The Y-man

15. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

100% this - meet with a good broker who can help you with these questions AND get your goals set, what are you ultimately trying to achieve?

Wrong mentality, a good broker tells you what strategy/structure will enable you to achieve your goals, not the other way around.

16. Trainee

Develop the knowledge to ask the right questions, and understand answers from experts. Not to tell experts what to do.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  17. Bean27

Bean27 Well-Known Member

When you get hard done by you want to get as educated as possible sorry if its the wrong attitude. Just want to learn

Lindsay_W likes this.
  18. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

19. Bean27

Bean27 Well-Known Member

20. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

By all means learn as much as you can, my point was take the advice from the professional instead of trying to tell them how to do it

Bean27 likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia