NSW Buying an IP which has exention/reno without council approval

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by IPpanther, 26th Sep, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. IPpanther

IPpanther Member

We are interested in one of the property in South Sydney which has garage converted into big play room. So they don't have garage, just carport. Sales agent says, he is not sure if that extension or reno was council approved as it was before the current owner and current owner doesn't know it.

So our questions are, in this case how can we find out if that was council approved or not.
    Lets say if it was not approved or without council's involvement, is it safe to buy that property? what are cons? Is there anything specific we should ask the sales agent or someone? Looking for your inputs.

2. ff3

ff3 Well-Known Member

You could reach out to council, not sure if they may assist if you're not the owner. I

I bought a place like that, had a reno but no details were available. I bought the place anyway and afterwards asked council to pull all records for the property and found out it had been approved. Worked out in my favour but a garage conversion isn't that difficult in my opinion.

IPpanther likes this.
  3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

We converted our double garage into a big family room over 40 years ago.

It was already under the same roof as the house. All we did was remove two roller doors, brick half way up the openings and install custom built windows. Tiled the concrete floor. Laundry already in a separate room off the garage.

Advice from council (at that time) was that we didn’t need approval as we were not really altering the structure, just replacing doors with windows.

4. A101

A101 Member

I would definitely check. Or if you put in an offer have subject to council searches in you contract. I would be wary of the legalities of this for an IP. Eg what if a fire breaks out in this section, or a tenant hurts themselves here....