NSW Buying an IP in Orange/Bathurst

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by H2O, 28th May, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
?

Should I buy in Bathurst ?

1. Yes

3 vote(s)
    23.1%
  2. Wait for 4 months and then re-evaluate

6 vote(s)
    46.2%
  3. No

4 vote(s)
    30.8%
  1. H2O

H2O Active Member

G'day

I am a newbie and just realized that it is a good time to get into real estate.

I am exploring to buy an IP in either Bathurst or Orange. The long term goal is to hold while having some cash flow (not into negative gearing).

Orange is very bullet proof atm as there are independent sectors investing creating jobs = demand for housing. The prices also reflect this despite C-19 impact and good ones are well over my budget.
    My Budget is ~ 380k to 400k and I can service a loan upto 85% LVR (have deposit + Stamp duty)

On the other hand, Bathurst is also doing well however more affordable to buy near the CBD or established areas. The reason can be no major investment happening (like Orange) and CSU also having issues since most foreign students are stuck/new admissions not picking up.

So after searching found on an old property (circa 1980) which is on a big block - 650+ sq mtr . However, the RE is adamant on sticking to the sale price. The rental market is doing Ok atm, some of my friends are having difficulty finding a good rental in the area despite good hospital jobs with history.

At the moment, should I let it go and wait to see if C-19 can have an impact or jump on it ? HWT property report highlights that Bathurst is at the peak.

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

Calling Euro

ta
    rolf

hash_investor likes this.
  3. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

could be Euro with a different name :D

4. H2O

H2O Active Member

No idea who Euro is....

5. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

6. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Not me . I don't use phantom accounts :) Orange is a favourite, yes.... but we are into Dual Occ's in Orange and sometimes in Bathurst ( Kelso, Raglan etc) .... not vanilla single income dwellings built in the 80's, as is being discussed here

7. H2O

H2O Active Member

Having a dual occ makes sense , but will you buy in current bathurst market ?
    So I wait or just pull the trigger...

8. euro73

I think Orange and Bathurst are strong locations for Dual Occ . If you buy an asset that generates excellent income , WHEN you buy isn’t super important . Focus on locations with low vacancy rates and land that is affordable. Over time it will pay itself off and leave you a very nice income stream.. Let us know if you’d like us to build you something :)

Last edited: 29th May, 2020
  9. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

what's the current market like in bathurst? through the roof?

10. CashCow101

CashCow101 New Member

@euro73 not sure how to PM in this forum. any chance we can have a chat with dual occ

11. euro73

very solid market, as is Dubbo. Neither are quite as strong as Orange or Goulburn have been. Tamworth and Armidale are taking off now.

12. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

@euro73 I am also looking to buy in the range of 550k-600k
    Can you please suggest which one is better between Armidale and Tamworth.
    Also, as property market is slowing down in Sydney, would it be a good time to buy in these regionals for Capital Growth? Thanks

13. euro73

I operate in a specific niche- house plus granny flat . I don't operate in the single dwelling space which your budget would be applicable to... so I can't really recommend one market over another for a single dwelling. I can tell you that Armidale rents and Tamworth rents have surged in the last few months due to chronic shortages of rentals, and even more chronic shortages of modern/reasonably modern rentals.... so new or relatively new /modern homes are getting huge rental uplifts - over $100 per week .... Both markets are really really strong and both have extremely low vacancy rates but right now Armidale weekly rents are starting to move away from Tamworth weekly rents, even though land prices are a touch lower. So overall the yield is a touch stronger in Armidale at the moment , even though both are very strong

As for growth, when rates start climbing, borrowing capacity starts suffering, holding costs start suffering , and you should temper your growth expectations anywhere and everywhere

SydneyInvestor likes this.
  14. SydneyInvestor

SydneyInvestor Well-Known Member

Thanks for your inputs @euro73 , appreciate it!

15. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Anyone able to recommend a property manager in Bathurst.
    I have an existing property that needs new management.

Only just getting told about a 41 day overdue rent via a email without and details of plans of remedy or proposed action from PM.
    Still no contact from the PM for days after asking for plan for the tenant or any details at all.
    PM has been extremely poor communicator for a long time.

16. Brady

Brady Well-Known Member

Another week goes by without contact...
    Attempted to ring the PM only be told she's on 'extended leave' without a return date.
    Someone else is looking after the property, but still no contact from them.

Think it's well any truly time to change offices.
    Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.