Buying a tenanted property

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Caffeine User, 22nd Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Caffeine User

Caffeine User Member

I am currently looking at a property in Brisbane that is selling with tenants.

Would appreciate some general comments on how I can improve DD with respect to tenants. Is the selling agent obliged to provide a current lease, or any info on the tenants?

I am not sure why the current investor would sell the tenanted property if houses are selling like hotcakes in this particular area. Should I be concerned??

2. Michael_X

Michael_X Mortgage Broker Business Member

Hi Caffeine User,

A few questions I would ask the selling agent

- How long has the tenant been there
    - Are they are a fixed or periodic lease
    - If fixed, how long until this runs out
    - If periodic, are they looking to say on and any wriggle room for rent rises

You can certainly request for the lease contract. Generally if it's a good tenant, you would want them to stay on. Having rent from day 1 is a nice little bonus.

On the vendor, could be any reason why they are selling. I normally ask the agent this and evaluate what their motivations are - is it price, a quick settlement, delayed settlement etc

Hope this helps,
    Michael

3. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Ask the agent. The vendor might just need money for something....or their mum told them to sell because there was a price crash coming (sorry Gockie and Gockie's mum!).

I like buying properties with tenants in place with a lease for the following reasons:
    1. agent often won't do as many opens (tenants object)
    2. cuts down PPOR buyers (who are looking for something to move into immediately)
    3. you get a good idea of what the tenants are like
    4. If the tenants are there, you get to ask all sorts of question about the building, neighbourhood etc.
    5. As Michael said, rent from day 1.

The Y-man

Kael likes this.
  4. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

Portfolio Perth Brisbane Sydney Melbourne
    I picked up an excellent IP located Morton Bayside in Brisbane with a tenant in it on a lease with 6 months still to run.

It had been listed for sale once previously with no interest a few months prior, so I knew the vendor was keen to move it.

They hadn't been getting any bites because it was still currently tenanted and because of that they were severely limiting their market exposure.

Anyway, from my DD I picked up that it was approximately $50-$60 per week under market rent, $270 and should have been around $320-$330. The leased still had another 6 months to run so my hands were tied in trying to increase the rent a the tenant level.

In making my offer I added a clause in the contract that the vendor pay me the sum of $1500 cash at settlement so as I could use it to offset the low rent for the remainder of the lease post settlement.

The way I arrived at this figure was $55/w x 26 weeks = $1430 rounded up to $1500 - and the vendor accepted.

Just goes to show there is always more than one way to skin a cat & increase your yield. I turned a low yield high capital growth property deal into a better yielding opportunity.

Just another example how one can manufacture a better opportunity out of now where with the right background information.

Hope this real life example has been of help and provides you with some possible food for thought in your situation.

Empire, Kael, moyjos and 3 others like this.
  5. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Rixter I think I know the answer but thought I would clarify.

If the vendor crossed out the clause for $1,500 at settlement, you would of gone ahead otherwise you would of dropped your price by $1,500 before making your offer.

Hope that makes sense lol.

6. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Investors sell properties all the time. No need for concern. We are selling a few of ours. Prices have risen and I want to retire.
    Follow Michaels questions and that should give you all the info you need.
    You can decide whether you want to leave the tenant in (if on expired lease). I bought 2 properties in Blacktown in 2009 with tenants in place. They are still there. I increased the rent straight away (one by $50 as it was way under market rent). They knew they were on a good wicket and it was still slightly under market.

I would only be concerned if there was no contract. Sometimes people rent to friends and there have been instances where getting them out is an issue.

7. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

I required cash in hand a settlement.

Off the purchase price does not increase your cash flow, as the purchase funds comes from borrowed funds.

I hope this explains what you're asking.

Perp likes this.
  8. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

Makes sense but if they crossed off that clause would you have gone ahead?

9. Jerry O

Jerry O Well-Known Member

Good example Rixter. Goes to show that you need to be thinking outside the box in property investing. If you want something, ask. Worst they could say is no.

As for the OP question, tenanted property is a good bonus. Saves you a lot of money in re-letting fees, advertisement fee, etc. and lost of potential rent whilst vacant.

10. Jacque

Jacque Jacque Parker Premium Member

Tip: if unsure about the tenants (especially if on a fixed lease) ask PM for the rental ledger- will be able to ascertain if they've ever been in arrears before.

We buy subject to existing tenancies commonly- not a problem if terms agreeable to investor purchasers and tenants stack up.

11. Rixter

Rixter Well-Known Member

I did have the option to capitalise the difference if it panned out that way.

12. htopg

htopg Well-Known Member

Always build rapport with the agent.
    Most of the time, the agent will tell you vendor's story.
    For example, I was told that the vendor has bought a land in south west Sydney and need the money urgently to construct a new house.
    Researching the selling history of the property might give you some idea about vendor's state of mind.
    For example, if they bought for 280k last year, built a granny flat for 120k and want it for 440k, then you know they really need the money as they just want their money back without little capital gain.

I asked current PM for tenant ledger and I could see how good/bad the tenants are.
    If they were behind rents frequently, then I might look for new tenants.

For my last IP, the previous PM provided me a nice DVD containing all the documents (rental contract, rental ledger, all communication to/from clients, condition report, and all photos for the condition report).

13. Caffeine User

Caffeine User Member

Thanks for all the great feedback! I will definitely take it all onboard before submitting my offer.

14. Luvlife49

Luvlife49 Member

If
    it’s inder rented or needs cosmetic Reno u don’t need the tenant eventually

15. Michael Mitchell

Michael Mitchell Well-Known Member

You need to be careful, here's an actual story that happened with one of my IP's I sold with tenants in place: Tenancy was fine when Buyer signed contract and viewed the property, but by the time settlement occurred, the tenancy had gone off the rails with rent arrears & breaches such that the Buyer was not able to obtain Landlords Insurance because the tenancy was more than 14 days in arrears, the arrears problem never recovered so Buyer was never able to get Landlords Insurance, the tenants ended up getting evicted with the warrant actually being exercised (they didn't go + squatters), the place was trashed (not quite ACA-level but pretty defeating for the Buyer) and Buyer not insured for the damage.

This scenario is probably not very common, and I'm not even sure how a Buyer would adequately protect themselves in the purchase contracts via T&C's etc. as I don't think you can take out Landlord Insurance policy until you actually settle on the property by which case it could already be unconditional and too late. Perhaps a clause to delay settlement until any/all detrimental tenancy matters are sorted as the Sellers Landlord Insurance policy would still be in effect and able to compensate for damages and monies owing etc.

Dan Wood likes this.
  16. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Ouch, Re taking out LL insurance prior to settlement.

Personal experience was a yes, I purchased the insurance (EBM) 14th April settled on 7th May. Went through next day with a policy start date of settlement 7th May.

Michael Mitchell likes this.