Cars & Motorbikes Buying a second hand Car . Advice wanted

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by See Change, 21st Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Our second car was hit in a recent hail storm and written off so we're looking at buying a second hand car . Don't often do this .

Have decided on which model etc and have been looking at prices and the dealers are selling them for high 20's and the private ones are around 4-5 K cheaper .

One of the sellers has a ' Comprehensive Car Facts history report " which looks at ownership , finance ( nil ) whether it's been written off etc and obviously we could pay for one on the other car

I'm not a car person so we need someone to inspect it . I have a dud experience with an NRMA report many years ago , but I hope they're better now . There's also Red book inspection and the other option would be to get the local dealer to do an inspection .

Any thoughts / suggestions / things to be aware of ?

If the asking price for that model / K's seems to be around 24500-25000 how much would people expect to " low ball " them within the normal realm of negotiating for cars ?

Cliff

2. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

$25k private, if there's quite a few on the local market, I'd expect to get $1.5k off that no worries. Start at $22- or $23k.

This assumes the car is priced correctly for its condition. It really does vary though depending on the seller. Selling a car I'd expect to get knocked down maybe 10% .

What is the car you're shopping for?

3. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

As long as it goes from A to B I wouldn't worry about it looking like cottage cheese.

If you have a regular mechanic take the car to her for an inspection. They will give you an honest, or over honest inspection.

wylie likes this.
  4. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

If purchasing private you need to buy a report to check if any finance or if it's ridden off prior to handing over any money, they usually cost around $4 I think for the report. If you find a car you're happy with, do the report again just prior to handing over the cheque/cash.

Buying a car? | PPSR

Dealerships always allow some negotiation room on price and any second hand car less than 10 years old comes with 3 months warranty I believe, private no such thing and it's at your own risk. After purchase you have fees such as transfer etc, which will add up maybe another 1000-1500 depending on sale price.

I used racv in Victoria years ago and they too were terrible so I can't recommend someone to check it for you, you will have to take a best guess out of googling.

The price is very similar to property, need to see what's around and available with certain features etc, depends if that model is in demand and if the seller is desperate or not. You can always try but understand every model is priced differently as it depends on how it's been serviced, major service such as timing belts etc have been done, perhaps a big service is coming up or tyres need replacing soon etc. I often find dealers usually do better deals than buying private, as once you factor all the additional costs and time your not saving much. And for piece of mind, and it's easier.

If you would like, pm me, I could look up the car and do some quick research for you and give you an idea. Have negotiated many over the years.

Bets of luck

5. neK

neK Well-Known Member

I have a preference for "one owner" cars. I find generally if it's the 1st owner and it's <4 years old, it's services regularly (log books will verify).

I stay away from people who service every 10,000km instead of every 6 months) - where they average 5000km per year

6. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

What type of car, there are different things to look out for on each make and model :)

7. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

On your budget, You could just walk into a dealer, buy new, get a warranty and be done with it?

A corolla is 20k spankers these days. Even them bottom of the range one comes with Auto, aircon, btooth...they are seriously good cars. Same for the Mazda 3.

16k you can get a Suzuki Swift with everything that opens and shuts as well?

13k gets you a Mitsubishi mirage....with a 5 year warranty.

Kias come with 7 years...

None of these are poo boxen.

Depends what you're after I guess...

8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Why buy second hand when you can buy a Mazda 3 Maxx demo for about 24.5k driveway or less....

9. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

I am surprised how many investors are advising to buy one of the worst depreciating assets of all time (a brand new car).

A 3 year old second hand car will firstly be a nicer car than a base model brand new one and secondly will lose value much slower.

I buy brand new cars but I am openly admitting I am stupid :). I know it is stupid when I do it but I still do it :).

A second hand 3 year old Mazda 3 SP25 GT would cost the same as that brand new base model :) https://www.carsales.com.au/private/details/Mazda-3-2014/SSE-AD-4571829/?Cr=9

Perthguy and Spoony like this.
  10. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

I figure it also depends on the vehicle requirements. For someone (like myself) that likes to go bush, a Mazda 3 Maxx isn't much chop. In this case $24k budget provide only used 4x4 options.

A agree with what Dan's said also, vehicles depreciate heaps in their first few years (some sizes/models far more than others), so it makes sense to avoid that initial hit if one is outright purchasing.

Just like bad debt there is bad depreciation ;)

11. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Observer and Perthguy like this.
  12. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  13. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

14. devank

devank Well-Known Member

I'm a bit surprised to read see change is looking for a second hand car.
    Got even more surprised after learning about the price range!

Last edited: 23rd Mar, 2017
  15. BennEznElle

BennEznElle Well-Known Member

Think you'll definitely need to add another zero to that offer..
    Might also need a bit of a lift kit installed if Spoony wants to take it 4wding! :)

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  16. Spoony

Spoony Well-Known Member

A bit of lift and some paddle tyres on the back. Best beach/dune car ever!!!

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  17. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

Ask the dealer for the cash price without trade

18. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Don't worry DK . We can afford a car in the 20's :cool:

What we bought was one of these .

Lexus CT 200 F Sports

Paid 23000 for a 2012 model with 50 K . Immaculate condition . Had Lexus dealer check it out and no problems .

Reasons . We wanted compact car for City .

Reliable - Lexus have been dominating reliability surveys for the last few years. While many cars start getting dodgy over 100 k , lexus don't appear to have major issues until well past that ./

Economic . As a hybrid it is rated under 5 L / 100 k

Has all the safety ratings and features we wanted and when you get in it it's really nice car ...

New they're over 50 K .

Next car we'll get will be a Lexus RX , around 50 K for 50 K , F sport Hybrid .in1-2 years time . We'll put that one though my company . This one we had to pay cash for .

Cliff

Dan Donoghue and devank like this.
  19. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

It appears I may have been a teensy bit off recommending the Suzuki Swift!
    :p Ha!

Nice work! What a lovely car! All the luxury you could want with the engineering brains from Toyota. Smart choice.

20. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Nice, I love Lexus.
    I had that same model until a few months ago.
    Had it 3 years from new and only put 15k on it, was a good car and the Lexus service is very good.
    I traded up to a one year old RC F with less than 10k on it and absolutely love it !
    It's a beast and will be complete when I get a new exhaust for it next week. Neighbors will not be happy with me...
    Will probably have to trade up to the LFA when I get bored of this one.

See Change likes this.