Franchising Buying a Residential Building Franchise

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Brian84, 14th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Otie

Otie Well-Known Member

Once you have done your course you should work for yourself. Franchises usually end up screwing the franchisee- there is a website naming and shaming a lot of the bad ones but I can't remember what it is called. I think if they are selling franchises then they are not invested in making you money, they are invested in getting rich from you buying the franchise and paying their ongoing fees, and you will have to use their suppliers and pay what they dictate. You can make good money on your own why make someone else rich!

Brian84 likes this.
  2. Brian84

Brian84 Well-Known Member

They are some good points. I would probably prefer to start my own brand.

MrFox likes this.
  3. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

Franchising might be restrictive. You will have to operate under some one else brand and use their systems and suppliers. Also it sounds like it is geographically restrictive, since you are buying an area of Sydney. Go on your own. You will be happier with the flexibility you will have. I use to own a franchise and it was basically like buying a job, not a business.

4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

As someone who considered franchise options and did not proceed I am very glad I started my own brand. You have control and are a free agent so that appeals to me.

If this is a sincere attitude and you know / work out how to market your services you will do well. People are looking for genuineness and can innately sense it when dealing with another person in a business and personal sense.

Go for it!

5. Brian84

Yes it is sincere attitude. I am passionate about my work. Working out the market will be the challenging part and marketing my brand.

Colin Rice likes this.
  6. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Dix n hoes has a catchy jingle :D wife reckons it's dixon homes:rolleyes:

Brian84 likes this.
  7. Brian84

So it's all about clever marketing.

Just like the drink dickens cider :D:D

bob shovel likes this.
  8. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Mix that ^^^^ with perseverence, a personable approach and wise marketing via test and measure and you will do well.

Read a book or get it from audible.com called "Duct Tape Marketing" .

May even pay off to see a good marketing person to kick you off but read/listen to the book first.

Brian84 likes this.
  9. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

They are :)

I do not know how franchises for house building works, but I rarely have talked to franchisees that were happy, I have seen a lot of things in many different fields, one common thing is changing of area/s, by either introducing another franchisee into an area, or, the company starts using own staff and basically starts to compete.

If I was going to look at one, I would look very closely with an experienced solicitor to see how this sort of thing would be handled. What are you up for if there is no work, are you prevented from doing other jobs/work, etc.

Brian84 likes this.
  10. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

That is exactly the way I view most of them, there are some good ones out there, but a lot of garbage too.

11. Brian84

Thanks for the advice Colin. I will definitely take a look.

Colin Rice likes this.
  12. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Could always buy the franchise, learn the business, make the contacts, then on sell the franchise to go out on your own later armed with insider knowledge.

One of my builders did this a few years back. We'd gone on an overseas trip and while away he'd gone out on his own with all the existing client base. We came home to a head of correspondence from the new company (as we'd signed under the franchised company name).

Brian84 likes this.
  13. Brian84

That's a dog act. I wouldn't do that to anyone because I wouldn't like anyone to do that to me, even though there are people who would do it.

14. MrFox

MrFox Well-Known Member

The Franchisor would surely have some no compete close in their contract.

Brian84 likes this.