Buying a property with a gum tree ringbarked

Discussion in 'Repairs & Maintenance' started by JasonPM, 27th Jun, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. JasonPM

JasonPM Member

I am about to settle on a property in Cherrybrook (Hornsby Council). However when I got someone in to quote for some renovation (had the agent open the door), I noticed that the blue gum in the backyard was ringbarked.

I called Hornsby council today and logged a request about a tree preservation order breach. They said they will respond within 21 days and settlement will be in about 2 weeks time.

What is the worst that you think will happen? Can they issue me a fine if they conclude the tree is vandalised after our settlement?

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Take lots of photos, date stamped.

Wouldn't Hornsby council know you don't own it, didn't own it when you logged the request?

Make sure they know you didn't ringbark it.

JasonPM and Marg4000 like this.
  3. JasonPM

JasonPM Member

Thanks, I've got some photos taken and sent it to them as well. I specifically told them that I am not the current owner and gave them my details as well.

4. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

A little of the original topic, sorry, but do you know if there's a way to rescue a ring barked tree? I had no idea what it was until I saw this thread and Googled it. We've got loads of trees that are ring barked, not intentionally, but we're plagued with rabbits that strip the bark about 5cm total ring depth all round and rabbit head height up for the ground. We only moved in 5 months ago, I put rabbit proofing around them all but don't know if they will all die now anyway? (Hard to tell as most are deciduous and we're in winter). Wondering if I can do anything to help them, or if it's likely been too long now anyway.

Thanks.

5. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Might be work asking agent if they have photos of the tree they took for marketing. Might show when it was done.

6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

If they are not completely ringbarked they might recover.

Otherwise here is a ( Northern hemisphere) article on bridge girdling which may help. It’s the one in a series of ‘how to’ articles.

Bridge grafting as a life-saving procedure for trees

JasonPM and Propagate like this.
  7. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

@Propagate - if the tree hasn't been completely ringbarked ie right through the cambium layer (the outside layers of the trunk/below the bark) is where the growth in trees happens, so it the vessels in the outside layers have not been fully damaged there would be a chance that the trees may recover depending upon the depth of the damage.

You could perform some plastic surgery on the tree - cut back a section of the bark and underlying surface and get a similar sized patch from another tree of the same species making sure that the patch is big enough to carry sap to the remaining undamaged section above/below. This is similar to a graft but on a larger scale.

JasonPM and Propagate like this.
  8. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I declare my bias - I hate gum trees in the 'burbs. They are great out in the country, where they belong, but in the city they drop branches (sometimes on people) and fall over during storms onto houses, cars and electricity lines. They are just the wrong tree IMO in town. I say good riddance........but you are still left with the cost of disposal :( unless you can prove it was OK at exchange of contracts and that's what needs to happen before settlement.

JasonPM likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I agree gum trees in suburbia are quite often a danger, but I'm guessing the OP is more concerned that he/she will be accused of ringbarking the trees and possibly be fined?

JasonPM likes this.
  10. Propertunity

@wylie if the OP follows your excellent advice about taking date stamped photos, they should be aOK.

JasonPM likes this.
  11. JasonPM

JasonPM Member

Thank you all. The agent was smart enough to not taking the photo of the tree. I think it has some kind of a stigma to it as well. Let's see what the council say. I will take photos again at inspection date. Hopefully it can be rescued.

12. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I too have a bias. Australian natives are meant to be in our suburbs - it has taken thousands of years for the tree to acclimatise to an area (hybrids are a different story). Get rid of the exotics which are out of place in our environment and should be considered a weed.

Go for sustainable urban design, build appropriate structures for the environment (not the same poorly sited or oriented house in Blacktown, Burwood or Bourke). Oh, there's a tree - engage an architect for a appropriate site solution not an arborist to get rid of it. Value trees as assets not as something to get rid of for your own ego.

If people desire to live in areas with trees but don't like them on their block, don't buy it buy in some desolate suburb with little or no shading, no wildlife and no habitat. :mad:

(Back in your cage SNM)

Joynz and Archaon like this.
  13. Propertunity

We might have to agree to disagree @Scott No Mates.
    Don't get me wrong - I love trees, shade etc. but the appropriate solution for gum trees (as far as I am concerned) in the suburbs is as per the photo below:;)
    [​IMG]

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia