Buying a PPOR at 18

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by Owlet, 25th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

This is a hypothetical situation but I would like some insight in to how possible this is. My understanding is that normally you have to be 18 to sign a legal contract as sole purchaser (happy to be corrected / informed of exceptions). Max turns 18 has saved a deposit since he was 8 - birthday money, pocket money, part-time work and wants to buy a house. Finds a suitable house where he can manufacture equity and wants to buy it. How difficult is it for Max to get a loan - assume he has only just finished year 12. Even if he has parents willing to co borrow or act as guarantors - would they loan to him? (Assume current lending conditions).

2. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

No need to be 18 to own real property, but you won't get a loan until at least 18. Without a job Max couldn't get a loan.

Can you borrow and onlend him?

Become joint purchasers - tax issues though.

3. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

I am assuming a part-time / casual job would be insufficient?

On lending would be probably be possible.

No to joint purchase.

Buy, reno, sell in 12mths, take profit, rinse and repeat. We've got a few years to work on the strategy.

4. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

casual or pt will be ok as long as the income is enough.

5. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

If it's a ppor affordability might be an issue with a casual or part time job. If it's a rental the rental income makes servicing much easier.

Of course it depends a lot on the purchase price :)

6. Corey Batt

Corey Batt Well-Known Member

So long as he has sufficient deposit funds + serviceability income he'll be fine. I bought my first property at 18 - great to get the bug at an early age. :)

7. Owlet

Owlet Well-Known Member

As did I - well just shy of the 19th birthday. But I didn't go to uni after year 12. I made the choice to get a full-time job so I could save a deposit for my own place. I still remember being asked to prove where the money came from - the regular bank deposits to one of their bank accounts from my employer wasn't obvious enough. The stamp duty and other costs went on a credit card.

Max will have choices I didn't. Yes he could take a gap year and work but he may wish to go to uni and work part-time or do an apprenticeship or start his own business. These latter options would see him have less $ to meet serviceability requirements.

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.